Emergency Candle

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rindert

Reaction score
I've found a way to make a really good emergency candle in an old jar using an old food can as a chimney. The flame is very steady. It does not produce smoke or soot. It makes very little odor. The wind will not blow it out if you take it out doors.
I made a hook out of a nail so I can hang it from a hook in the ceiling. You have to use one of those new type cans that you don't need an opener for. Make 30 wide slits at the top of the chimney 1.4x.08 inches. Make 6 narrow sits .65 inches up from the bottom .7x.03 inches. Bend the flange inside the can, that was left behind when the lid was removed, so that it mimics the cam features that are part of the jar lid. This will allow you to attach the chimney securely to the jar. Save the jar lid. You can remove the chimney and put the jar lid on when you want to put the candle out.
DSCN3311.JPG
DSCN3335.JPG

Very cool!
How do you make the slits? Also, is there a special type of wax needed to get a nice bright light or is it the wick that makes it brighter or dimmer?

I'm a little paranoid sometimes, so I would probably find a way to wire the jar to the can to keep it from falling apart. :D

Yes, definitely be safe! It's a little like jacking up a car so you can crawl under and work on it. Some of us have done it thousands of times and never gotten hurt.
I make the slits with the little grinding wheels you see in the second picture, using the rotary tool shown.
You can make a wire bail, sort of like a bucket handle, and all kinds of shades and reflectors. Here i just used paper and tin foil.

Attachments

• DSCN3341.JPG
    DSCN3341.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN3342.JPG
    DSCN3342.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 9
I love the reflector idea.
We had a sub station go out the other day ... no power for 12 hrs. One of my dogs was freaking out because she doesn't like the dark. Had to turn on the phone flashlight all night. This would have come in handy. :)

Latest posts

Back