Embroidery Machine forum ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding an Embroidery Machine forum like this one.
The ones I have found are not geared toward machine work, mostly hand work. Or they are an older style forum and not much activity on it. Hard to hear about which threads to use or backing or what have you when the posts are almost 8 years old

I would love to buy a machine that is both Embroidery and sewing. Looking at a Brother machine but want to read up and learn more. Was going to buy a book at Barnes & Noble but there was none. No magazines either, nor at Joann's, Michaels ... .

So if you could suggest one that would be great, TY .

I don't know about a recommendation, as I don't use a embroider machine myself, however, my mom has a dual brother machine and she loves it. She uses it every day, and can make some gorgeous things with it.
I know you are looking for more than that, but that's my .02 for you Hopefully someone else will chime in with some more information that will be more useful for you.

@jcandleattic That is what I am looking for ! I am looking at the Brother SE625 (or 600, it just doesn't come with extra CD of designs). I would like to do some sewing too so I wanted both.

I belong to this sewing forum which has a section for machine embroidery.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/forum.php

My dh bought me a Janome 300e (stand alone embroidery machine) 12 years ago when we moved from CA to KY.
I am still using it; although much less frequently, as all my kiddos are grown now.
I've had lots of fun with that machine--I've even used it in some of my quilts.

Most of my sewing machines (ahem-yes, I do admit to having multiple- lol ;) are Janome or Kenmore made by Janome, but I do have a Brother that I purchased a couple of years ago to take when we travel. It has been a great little machine)

Hope this helps!

Janelle

@JanelleTrebuna TY, I didn't even think to look at any of the quilting boards. And this is good too as I would like to do a quilt or 2 :) I tried to do one eons ago and I got all the little pieces cut. hand sewn a few blocks then time got away from me :)

@JanelleTrebuna TY, I didn't even think to look at any of the quilting boards. And this is good too as I would like to do a quilt or 2 :) I tried to do one eons ago and I got all the little pieces cut. hand sewn a few blocks then time got away from me :)
Its a lovely board--with wonderful helpful and encouraging people and lots of inspiring pictures.
I'm Janelle Trebuna on there, as well. (not very imaginative with my name- lol)

Hello from New Jersey. Have been a member here for 5 yrs and yes... I do just read the forums and never reply to any but today I found this conversation and had to reply. I also make cp and hp soap and have a PR-1000 Brother embroidery machine. I do a lot of business for my local oil refinery in my town. I am also a member of a group for embro machines but off hand can’t remember the name. If you google pr-1000 embroidery machine groups, you should find it easily. Been a member of that group for 10 yrs. you have to be approved to join. They are very informative. Great bunch of people. Good luck!

The ones I have found are not geared toward machine work, mostly hand work. Or they are an older style forum and not much activity on it. Hard to hear about which threads to use or backing or what have you when the posts are almost 8 years old

I would love to buy a machine that is both Embroidery and sewing. Looking at a Brother machine but want to read up and learn more. Was going to buy a book at Barnes & Noble but there was none. No magazines either, nor at Joann's, Michaels ... .

I have a BabyLock Destiny that I love! Works flawlessly every Time and made in St. Louis, MO. You might check out some of the machine embroidery groups on MeWe. No drama, just good folks discussing machine embroidery. Also, look into Embrilliance (it is a web-based embroidery program that works cross-platform ( both Windows and macs).

TY, I just got My Editor for now. It was free. I only did it because I got 3 free patterns that I wanted to see how to save on my computer.

For some reason it only lets me save them to the section , User, Lin . Will not let me make a separate file on my desktop to save to :smallshrug:
But I have not really played with it yet. This one site allows 3 free a week so I just picked 3. I don't even have the machine yet lol

I will check out MeWe.

Do you know of a CD I can buy with a ton of Patterns on it? I'm having a hard time finding it, they have really bad reviews or maybe they don't exist ?

I have had 3 BabyLocks. But I finally bought a Husqvarna Designer I
which I like a lot more. I was always having mechanical problems with the others. I just looked at my invoice, I purchased Sep. 2008. Never had it worked on. Now one is probably the price of my 1971 home.

Search patternreview forum they have about every aspect of sewing shown there, and reviews of various machines, including embroidery machines. Mine is a Janome 300E

I have been on Patternreview for a couple days now. Lots of great info.
I also started to watch some videos to freshen up on sewing. Have not done that in ages when I had my Mum's old Singer. from the 60's

I have a BabyLock Destiny II and love it! It is a dual purpose machine. Go toMeWe (it’s like Facebook but better) . There is an embroidery machine group there. There are also several on Facebook. I would recommend a Viking, Bernina, or BabyLock. Just be sure to buy from a reputable dealer for free lessons and for follow-up care.

@Lin19687 I get emb files very reasonably priced from emblibrary.com, they have thousands of files. They also own urbanthreads.com, more modern emb designs. They are both instant downloads - instant gratification! If you join their mailing groups, you get special deals (10 files for $20, $1.99 for any file, bogo, etc...) I have always had great success with their files. I also buy the occasional file from Etsy - ex, my son wanted some Supernatural stuff emb on the back of a jean jacket, tshirts, etc...

I had a Brother Project Runway LB6800 which only did 4x4" max size hoops, used it for 7 years on putting little "logo" things on clothing (ducks, deer, moose, etc...) but I outgrew it. I kept trying to do "patches" and the machine couldn't open/understand the files. I had no idea why, until after I sold it. Each machine has a maximum number of stitches in a file it can understand. If your machine has a problem reading the file, it may be beyond your machine's maximum.

I sold the Brother and got a Singer EM200 (embroidery only), which does up to 6x10" hoops. (I work at Joann so I got a sale deal + employee discount [1/2 price].)

My main reason for upgrading was I use it to "long arm" quilts (not QAYG)! At a minimum of $250 a pop (minimum) to get one full size quilt long armed, I made my purchase cost back on the savings after 3 quilt tops. For that I use E2E embroidery, http://www.ameliescott.com/ which I have bought several CD's of files (at Nancy's Notions, cheaper than direct from Amelie).

This was my first quilt (queen size!) I did on the emb machine. 150 hoopings... Takes longer to do the quilting than making the quilt though!

20180225_120826.jpg

@Jill B Blasius That one is Lovely !!!
I grew up seeing Big Fat Stuffed quilts in Vermont. the "quilting" itself is not an issue. I just don't like the 'flat' quilts. SO I am hoping to do the top part maybe with some quilting patterns on it, then making the inside fluff and backing.

I bought the Brother SE625. Almost bottom of the line machine and only 4x4 hoop but I don't have a budget for more. but I wanted both sewing and embroider :)

When you say $250 for the quilting, are you talking about the thread purchase amount ?

Back