Embrace the random, unusual and quirky

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
This is some encouragement for people new to making soap and like me, they are not a natural artist.

I looked at the beautiful soap swirls and complicated designs that looked like paintings instead of soap. I found it very difficult in the beginning to make any swirl let alone some of the more complicated swirls. And I still find it difficult after 18 months.

So I decided to concentrate on making a soap that did what it was designed for, cleaning and color/design would come after that. After about a year, I finally got the soap that I wanted and decided that now, I would figure out how to make a pretty soap. What I finally decided was to embrace the random and unusual. Let me preface this by saying that I did follow a few rules of color theory and I downloaded a good color design/wheel app. I just follow the color rules of complimentary, analogous, etc. Also I've been using different color, shape and size confetti lately because it is an easy way to add a nice element to the soap.

Once I have the color match up and fragrance that I want, I then proceed to just pour the soap in any random order that I want. There doesn't have to be any rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes I pour one color first, then maybe a layer of confetti batter, followed by another color. I let the batter thicken a little so that I can pour just a little in random spots and levels through the soap.

It’s really all about just doing what you want. If you are going to sell soap some day then you may have to put a little more thought into your soap designs because your random, may be to much for someone else but if it's for you then let your imagination go wild.

I hope this gives some encouragement to those of you who find it difficult to create a design in your soaps. Please add your own thoughts and encouragement to mine.

It’s really all about just doing what you want. If you are going to sell soap some day then you may have to put a little more thought into your soap designs because your random, may be to much for someone else but if it's for you then let your imagination go wild.
This was so well said, and I'd go even further and say do what you want regardless! (Within safe reason of course)
If you love what you're doing and it's unique to you, chances are someone out there will love it too, and it will be more special because they can't get it from anyone else.

No amount of studying of colour theory and design principles can replace the raw passion that comes through when a person does what they love.

Ive tried to do specific techniques and it doesnt normally work out. Ive found Im happier just making things up as I go and seeing what comes out.
I literally plan my color scheme or design when I get up in the morning. Actually I spend about 10 minutes the night before looking at different color match ups in an app that I have. Then in the morning while I am weighing out everything, I decide how I want to layer the colors.

beautiful soap swirls and complicated designs that looked like paintings instead of soap.
Don't play yourself down. There are so many art styles, with paintings as with soap. There are the Dürers, Rembrandts and Lorrains, yes. But there are also the Van Goghs, the Matisses and Münters. Malevich has his place, Pollock, Yves Klein, Niki de Saint Phalle and Mark Rothko. Not to even start with Lascaux, Nazca lines, or Gwion Gwion…

No matter how hard you try, there will always be someone who is better than you. The trick is to dose the ambitions not towards them, but towards yourself. You are the only human whom to impress is unconditionally okay.

Last edited:
Don't play yourself down. There are so many art styles, with paintings as with soap. There are the Dürers, Rembrandts and Lorrains, yes. But there are also the Van Goghs, the Matisses and Münters. Malevich has his place, Pollock, Yves Klein, Niki de Saint Phalle and Mark Rothko. Not to even start with Lascaux, Nazca lines, or Gwion Gwion…

No matter how hard you try, there will always be someone who is better than you. The trick is to dose the ambitions not towards them, but towards yourself. You are the only human whom to impress is unconditionally okay.
Thanks. I wasn't down playing myself. Because I have found a way to overcome my lack of natural artistic talent. I just wanted to give some encouragement and help to those who may be struggling with creating some of the design ideas that they have in their mind. That there is a way to create pretty soap without any natural artistic talents.

I just wanted to give some encouragement and help to those who may be struggling with creating some of the design ideas that they have in their mind.
Exactly this was my intention too! I just wanted to remind that there are many types of art out there, and that the self-perception of “not being natural artistic” is complete rubbish. Everyone (particularly every soapmaker) can at least match the level of artisanal mastery of Joseph Beuys. 🤣

I saved links to color palette sites to browse through once I actually get a selection of micas and liquid colors. That way I can just browse through and go oh hey that looks like a fun mix. I kind of wanted to go and make geeky soap for people. Some regular bars, but also Star Wars, Harry Potter, Mario. Since I'm mostly going to be donating and not selling. Give those people that are in a bad place a nice little pick me up from their favorite movies and tv shows. <.< I think I'm a bit too ambitious some days.

Art teacher here: what you're doing is discovering and training yourself to have that talent. And, bonus, you're kindly sharing that 'knowlogy with others. 👍

Thanks. I wasn't down playing myself. Because I have found a way to overcome my lack of natural artistic talent. I just wanted to give some encouragement and help to those who may be struggling with creating some of the design ideas that they have in their mind. That there is a way to create pretty soap without any natural artistic talents.

Excellent advice! :thumbs:
Thanks. I'm really glad that I made a good soap first because it has resulted in some very brisk selling. I get 2 or 3 emails every day from people wanting to try the soap. The most rewarding part is when I here from people who are sensitive to many chemicals and they are so glad to have a soap that doesn't leave them feeling worse than before they bathed.
Art teacher here: what you're doing is discovering and training yourself to have that talent. And, bonus, you're kindly sharing that 'knowlogy with others. 👍
Thank you very much. I was a poor student in high school and regret it now. However about 10 years ago, I decided to learn everything that I should have in high school. It has been the best journey I've ever had.

I love sharing things with other people. So much so that started giving demonstrations for saving seeds and growing roses. Gardening & soap making are my 2 favorite past times and they kind of go hand in hand. Because after I'm done playing in the dirt, I use my soap to clean up. I also use my soap as a surfactant in my various fertilizer and weed killer sprays.

I haven't did any seminars in the last 18 months because of the covid virus but I'm itching to get back to the demonstrations. Especially in spring when the weather starts warming up.

It's like you were reading my mind @Todd Ziegler. I have been struggling with the intended outcome versus actual outcome and a couple of times I have let it get the better of me. I am starting to learn how to mentally let it go and not worry so much about the outcome. I tried a wood grain pour the other day and was so excited to try it. It did not go as planned and I was so upset. I am a half empty kind of guy and when things don't go my way it puts me in a funk. The best part about soaping is that unless you make an egregious mistake and end up with lye heavy soap most soap no matter the design outcome is still a functional piece of soap. I too have very little to no artistic talent so it is definitely frustrating when things don't work out like the You Tube videos I watch, but there is nothing better than taking that not so pretty bar of soap that I made and using it in the shower or at the bathroom sink. Thanks for this post.

This is some encouragement for people new to making soap and like me, they are not a natural artist.

I hope this gives some encouragement to those of you who find it difficult to create a design in your soaps. Please add your own thoughts and encouragement to mine.
Todd, your post really hit me at a good time when I needed to hear it. I've been trying to find my niche along with so many of you talented soapers and reading this really hit home. I've been working on 'my' perfect soap recipe for the past year trying to get in all the elements I believe in..safe, simple, 'sound' and pleasing to look at. (not to mention simply luxurious and beautiful 😅 ) I'm pretty simple and following a path that continues to lead me to nature and of course *honoring* my goats lol. I'm not really a design soaper with bright colors and intricate patterns altho I love to look at them and admire and appreciate all the talent. Your encouragement to let imagination go wild actually makes me feel I can do that in my own way and yet continue to work in my direction. I'm not sure your intention was to hit home in this way, but it did with me. I love this forum as it encourages soapers in the ways that really help them. Thank you

It's like you were reading my mind @Todd Ziegler. I have been struggling with the intended outcome versus actual outcome and a couple of times I have let it get the better of me. I am starting to learn how to mentally let it go and not worry so much about the outcome. I tried a wood grain pour the other day and was so excited to try it. It did not go as planned and I was so upset. I am a half empty kind of guy and when things don't go my way it puts me in a funk. The best part about soaping is that unless you make an egregious mistake and end up with lye heavy soap most soap no matter the design outcome is still a functional piece of soap. I too have very little to no artistic talent so it is definitely frustrating when things don't work out like the You Tube videos I watch, but there is nothing better than taking that not so pretty bar of soap that I made and using it in the shower or at the bathroom sink. Thanks for this post.
Wether you look at the glass as half empty or half full, the real question you should ask yourself is, how thirsty are you?

Last edited:
Todd, your post really hit me at a good time when I needed to hear it. I've been trying to find my niche along with so many of you talented soapers and reading this really hit home. I've been working on 'my' perfect soap recipe for the past year trying to get in all the elements I believe in..safe, simple, 'sound' and pleasing to look at. (not to mention simply luxurious and beautiful 😅 ) I'm pretty simple and following a path that continues to lead me to nature and of course *honoring* my goats lol. I'm not really a design soaper with bright colors and intricate patterns altho I love to look at them and admire and appreciate all the talent. Your encouragement to let imagination go wild actually makes me feel I can do that in my own way and yet continue to work in my direction. I'm not sure your intention was to hit home in this way, but it did with me. I love this forum as it encourages soapers in the ways that really help them. Thank you
I don't decide my theme or colors until my oils are melted and cooling. I just pick the colors and basic theme and go from there.

Latest posts

Back