Embeds not coming cleanly out of silicon mould

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've brushed PS80 on my silicone embed molds to release CP soap from them, and it worked amazingly. I've also used mineral oil, but I have more PS80 than mineral oil, and it's cheaper, so that's what I use.

If you haven't tried salt, sodium lactate, or vinegar as a mold release in the soap, I think I'd try that first. Those tears look like the intermittent problems I sometimes have with my molds.

Leaving the soap in even longer to harden up might help too. Even in a regular square mold, I think my record is now seven days until I could remove it--and plenty of people make recipes that take longer than that!
What would cause the same recipe to require longer in the mould than it used to?

The weather. Or a slight variation in the recipe: ie: mismeasurement or different oil (the same oil but a different container of it) or insufficiently mixed or melted oil or soap gremlins ;)

Waiting extended periods is not generally a viable option for people who are selling or most hobbyists.

Yeah I mean I don't mind waiting a little bit but leaving it in the mould a week or longer seems a bit much to ask!

What would cause the same recipe to require longer in the mould than it used to?

Higher humidity, colder surrounding temperatures, gel, no gel, slightly more water in the mix, forgetting the water you used to dissolve a colorant, changing colorants, changing additives that would alter saponification speed or heat, and so on.

I'm always surprised when a base recipe acts the same way twice, to tell you the truth.

Back