Embeds not coming cleanly out of silicon mould

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primrose

Reaction score
Hey guys

So I've been making heaps of these little mini soaps with no problems whatsoever ... until now. The last few batches no matter what I do will just not come out of the mould cleanly :( You can see how they are sticking

Same recipe. Same process. Same FO.

Any ideas? I don't think they are a total loss because most of them I think will be ok to give a quick wash to smooth them out. But earlier batches were coming out smooth, shiny and perfect.

I am so completely frustrated and hate making these soaps now LOL

28534712_1926038477408990_786418240_n.jpg
29027303_1939583016054536_8137048539952840704_n.jpg
29103997_1939583052721199_7309905785125863424_n.jpg
29133990_1939583119387859_7416356296154152960_n.jpg

Also it would be lovely to not have to wash 200 mini soaps over the next week ahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
I sprayed the last lot with olive oil (I can either get olive or canola in a spray can) and it made no difference :(

Could it be that your molds have started to degrade a tiny bit, and that is why the soaps stick even thoug you spray the molds? I have had that happen to a similar mold (in the shape of puzzle pieces) I bought long time ago, and no matter what I did, it never got better so I threw it away in the end, it made me bonkers.

It was not flimsy or cheap, but really sturdy, yet it "turned" on me. Just a thought anyway.

I was worried and hoped it might not be that.

They don't make these anymore and I found them scavenging through op shops. Its unlikely I can replace them.

I've only had them maybe six months. Probably done a total of ten batches in them

Timing issue? Has the weather changed enough since the last time you used them that the recipe just needs more time?

I've tried putting them in the freezer with no success (that's what I did with all the earlier batches and that was good)

The last lot, which is in these pictures I had sprayed the mould with olive oil, left them in the mould for five days, and put them in the freezer.

Still no go

Timing issue? Has the weather changed enough since the last time you used them that the recipe just needs more time?

Weather is probably hotter and more humid but the last lot I left for five days and still no luck

No I definitely haven't forgotten anything. The last three batches have done this

I never used salt in previous batches and they came out cleanly 24-48 hours later, with the help of the freezer

How much salt do you usually use? It is dissolved in the lye water is that right?

Yes, you can use 1 tsp ppo and dissolve it in your water before adding your lye. Using olive oil can cause a problem as the lye is still active in the soap so it probably just saponified your olive in the mold.

Mineral oil is supposed to be better to use for a mold release than oil.
Or Vaseline but wait for someone to confirm that one. I’ve not used either.

I spray all of my decorative molds with a light layer of Pam

Cmzaha and shunt Pam is canola oil. Why wouldn’t that saponify like olive oil spray?

Last edited:
Mineral oil is supposed to be better to use for a mold release than oil.
Or Vaseline but wait for someone to confirm that one. I’ve not used either.

Cmzaha and shunt Pam is canola oil. Why wouldn’t that saponify like olive oil spray?

I'm not sure why it doesn't probably has more stuff in it. I've also used mineral oil but not in my small molds in my HDPE mold to help it release.

I can try the canola oil.

I read your response earlier as palm not Pam.

I did think the same thing about the batter just incorporating and saponifying the spray. But I cant see how canola would act any differently but it won't hurt to try.

I have mineral oil but it's in a big 5L container and I'm not sure how I'd get it evenly dispersed in these moulds?

I can try the canola oil.

I read your response earlier as palm not Pam.

I did think the same thing about the batter just incorporating and saponifying the spray. But I cant see how canola would act any differently but it won't hurt to try.

I have mineral oil but it's in a big 5L container and I'm not sure how I'd get it evenly dispersed in these moulds?

Use a pastry brush or just wipe them with a saturated paper towel or cloth. It doesn't need much. Nope, not palm, PAM Cooking spray. :)

Use a pastry brush or just wipe them with a saturated paper towel or cloth. It doesn't need much. Nope, not palm, PAM Cooking spray. :)

Its just that they are so little and fiddly. I could try a paintbrush maybe

I think I’d try the mineral oil first only because "Pam" isn’t 100% canola and I’m not sure we have the equivalent in Australia.

Pam ingredients: Canola Oil*, Palm Oil*, Coconut Oil*, Lecithin from Soybeans (Non-Stick Agent), Dimethyl Silicone (For Anti-Foaming), Rosemary Extract(Preservative).

Last edited:
If you haven't tried salt, sodium lactate, or vinegar as a mold release in the soap, I think I'd try that first. Those tears look like the intermittent problems I sometimes have with my molds.

Leaving the soap in even longer to harden up might help too. Even in a regular square mold, I think my record is now seven days until I could remove it--and plenty of people make recipes that take longer than that!

Latest posts

Back