Embedding Cold Process into Melt and Pour ???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jcandleattic pictures please!

I have not done layers, but I have done a on the drop type swirl adding MP into CP batter.

IMO the most important thing to watch out for is temperature. If you put it together under 120 F , it might separate.

I recently did something similar to what jcandleattic did. The base on this soap is Oatmeal, Milk, & Honey CP. The "honeycomb" is M&P. The M&P was made in the mold first, poured over bubble wrap. Then I made my CP batter, spritzed the base with alcohol and poured the CP over it. I did let it gel and the heat produced fused the two together.

ETA: this was my second attempt. I didn't allow my first try to gel and it came apart, right out of the mold.

Attachments

• DSCN1578.JPG
    DSCN1578.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 14

I have not done layers, but I have done a on the drop type swirl adding MP into CP batter.

IMO the most important thing to watch out for is temperature. If you put it together under 120 F , it might separate.
My friend that I made them with is sending me the pics. As soon as I get them I'll add them. :)

Okay, here are the pics, I did the first one (the pink one) that didn't quite turn out like I wanted, then went to a friends house and we did the next one. (purple one) The purple one we decided to put CP soap shreds in the M&P part, and it just turned out so much better than the pics show.
We also didn't soap hot, we soaped room temp, but made sure the soap gelled, so the M&P soap would not separate.
Cut Pink Sands 005.JPG

100_1882.jpg

Okay, here are the pics, I did the first one (the pink one) that didn't quite turn out like I wanted, then went to a friends house and we did the next one. (purple one) The purple one we decided to put CP soap shreds in the M&P part, and it just turned out so much better than the pics show.
We also didn't soap hot, we soaped room temp, but made sure the soap gelled, so the M&P soap would not separate.
View attachment 29426

View attachment 29425
That's STUNNING!! I have some questions, you had to make 2 batches of cp? How long did you wait (you said you gelled) before putting the MY layer?
How do you think it would go with hp?

I recently did something similar to what jcandleattic did. The base on this soap is Oatmeal, Milk, & Honey CP. The "honeycomb" is M&P. The M&P was made in the mold first, poured over bubble wrap. Then I made my CP batter, spritzed the base with alcohol and poured the CP over it. I did let it gel and the heat produced fused the two together.

ETA: this was my second attempt. I didn't allow my first try to gel and it came apart, right out of the mold.
I was actually trying to search for your post, I had remembered you doing this! How did you get it to gel over the mold?

I was actually trying to search for your post, I had remembered you doing this! How did you get it to gel over the mold?

I used the M&P layer from the earlier batch that had failed, put it back into the bottom of the mold, then poured the CP soap over it. I had prewarmed my oven to about 170ºF, put the soap in, then turned the oven off. I know that OMH soap can overheat quickly so I kept an eye on it and took it out after about an hour of so and let it do its thing without further wrapping or covering. The goal was to warm up the M&P enough that the two layers would stick together.

Incidentally, I use a wire cheese slicer to cut my soaps (one day I'll have a Bud cutter, I swear I will) and I had no issue when I slowly cut through the M&P layer first.

That's STUNNING!! I have some questions, you had to make 2 batches of cp? How long did you wait (you said you gelled) before putting the MY layer?
How do you think it would go with hp?

for the pink one, I didn't make 2 CP batches. I made one, poured some cp on the bottom, then melted and poured my M&P, using a spatula so it wouldn't fall down into the CP, then let that sit, all the while the rest of my cp batch was in the pour pot. Once the M&P was solid enough to hold the top layer, I poured the rest of the CP.
In between layers was probably about 10 minutes max.
It honestly didn't take much longer than it would to do intricate swirls like I normally do as well.

On the purple one, honestly I can't remember if we made 2 batches or did what I did above, but honestly either way would work.

Yes, I gelled by putting the mold and soap in a box, then covering the box with 2 layers of towels, (basically the same process I do with every batch of CP I make)

I have no idea how this would work with HP as I don't do a lot of HPing, because I absolutely loathe the process and the outcome is never what I want, so IF I have to rebatch, then I'll do it, but other than that, I CP.

for the pink one, I didn't make 2 CP batches. I made one, poured some cp on the bottom, then melted and poured my M&P, using a spatula so it wouldn't fall down into the CP, then let that sit, all the while the rest of my cp batch was in the pour pot. Once the M&P was solid enough to hold the top layer, I poured the rest of the CP.
In between layers was probably about 10 minutes max.
It honestly didn't take much longer than it would to do intricate swirls like I normally do as well.

On the purple one, honestly I can't remember if we made 2 batches or did what I did above, but honestly either way would work.

Yes, I gelled by putting the mold and soap in a box, then covering the box with 2 layers of towels, (basically the same process I do with every batch of CP I make)

I have no idea how this would work with HP as I don't do a lot of HPing, because I absolutely loathe the process and the outcome is never what I want, so IF I have to rebatch, then I'll do it, but other than that, I CP.
Do you mind if I try your style with hp? I would like to experiment!

IMG_3312.JPG
Ok, I did HP and it passed the first test by at least staying together. We'll see how it holds up! It wasn't without its challenges, newb stuff. For example, MP doesn't play nicely in a wax paper lined loaf mold! A LOT ran behind the paper making unmolding a BIG challenge!
The MP layer was supposed to be more of a turquoise, but obviously not enough color. And then there's the fact that there were THREE kitchen clean-ups!
Overall, I'm excited to know that it worked, THUS FAR!!
It would be fun to put little fish embeds in there, it reminds me of my fish tank!

I had not made an adjustment in my recipe for amount of oils, taking into consideration that some was going to be MP, so I was able to do a 5 lb and a 3 lb.
I had forgotten to spray the top of the mp layer of the 3 lb with alcohol before adding the top cp. thankfully I don't see a difference yet. I washed my hands with an end piece, so far, so good! I'm excited!

Latest posts

Back