Embed plastic buttons?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysteryPoodle

Reaction score
Most embeddables that I see are soft rubber or soap. I would like to make some gift soaps for specific individuals and would really like to use the great novelty plastic buttons you find in craft and fabric stores as embeds. I use them for scrapbooking by clipping the shank off the back. Other than the fact that the soap will need to be discarded (probably) once the embed is reached since it will be "scratchy." These folks do not have children or small children. Has anyone tried this? I guess I don't understand why everyone doesn't do it -- I must be missing something!! :wink: Thanks!

maybe because if they are sold you can't guarantee who will receive them or abuse them and not read the caution about small children.

And it's to big of a risk to take that a small child might choke on one and gawd forbid die because of it.

Thanks, Faith -- those are good thoughts. I'm making individual bars as gifts for people whom I know well, so I think I'm going to go ahead and see what happens!

why don't you make your own button embeds. spread a small amount of colored mp out on wax paper and when it's set up, cut it out with a straw or a lip balm tube, pierce two holes thru the middle with a needle. you could make all different colors then add them to your soap bars. won't be as fancy as the buttons you wanted to use, but won't be as painful if they scrap themselves with washing and the soap has dissolved way from part of the button.

barb

how about finding a candy mold in the shape of buttons, and make your own buttons as Barb suggested.

Back