Electric blanket for gel phase

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdc1978

Reaction score
Allo,

Ive seen a few threads on this topic, but nothing super recent. I live in northern California and I want to do soap swirls so I've been soaping at a fairly low temperature and so I think that even covering the mold in a regular blanket may not be helping because the temperature of the soap is so low.

I tried cpop but wasn't a fan, I think it may have something to do with this oven, which is electric and cooled down pretty rapidly.

So I'm thinking about covering with an electric blanket, which makes sense. Has anyone perfected the process? My area isn't super cold, but is there a temperature I should get the air under the blanket to and then turn it off? Should I just leave it for a few hours? Low, high, in between? Do I just need to be a helicopter soap mommy and check it every hour to make sure it's not overheating? :p

Thanks in advance!

I put my molds in low profile crates with a towel stretched inside the top, to catch condensation, of an electric pad and cover with an electric blanket. During hot summer months, I still do this but do have to check the soap every hr or so to make sure it is not overheating, especially with new fragrances. I know most of my fragrances and how they act. I normally soap with a 33% Lye Concentration at room temp and it is very hard for me to gel with my recipes. This method takes me a little work because I usually stack 3-4 crates with 2 6 lb molds each always putting the newest batch on the bottom and the warmest batch in the middle. Heat pad stays on the bottom and the E blanket on the top. During cold weather, I usually have a cotton Mexican blanket in the middle of the crates. Although I do not live in a really cold state winter nighttime can drop pretty cold here and I do not run heat due to living in a glass treehouse. That is what my mom always called my house. :eek: So it gets chilly in my house.

Yes, I have mentioned my method several times in threads.

I put my molds in low profile crates with a towel stretched inside the top, to catch condensation, of an electric pad and cover with an electric blanket. During hot summer months, I still do this but do have to check the soap every hr or so to make sure it is not overheating, especially with new fragrances. I know most of my fragrances and how they act. I normally soap with a 33% Lye Concentration at room temp and it is very hard for me to gel with my recipes. This method takes me a little work because I usually stack 3-4 crates with 2 6 lb molds each always putting the newest batch on the bottom and the warmest batch in the middle. Heat pad stays on the bottom and the E blanket on the top. During cold weather, I usually have a cotton Mexican blanket in the middle of the crates. Although I do not live in a really cold state winter nighttime can drop pretty cold here and I do not run heat due to living in a glass treehouse. That is what my mom always called my house. :eek: So it gets chilly in my house.

I find it interesting that you check every hour. When I first learned, I read not to open the mold box and to just wait patiently until the next day before opening since you'd be letting some of the heat out.

I use wooden molds and have been insulating with towels for a long time now, but I've recently become the victim of overheating (see some of my recent posts).

So I stopped insulating and now the only insulation I have is the wooden mold itself. So far, so good.

I find it interesting that you check every hour. When I first learned, I read not to open the mold box and to just wait patiently until the next day before opening since you'd be letting some of the heat out.

I use wooden molds and have been insulating with towels for a long time now, but I've recently become the victim of overheating (see some of my recent posts).

So I stopped insulating and now the only insulation I have is the wooden mold itself. So far, so good.
I get mine pretty how with my method and I mainly only check often when using new fragrances. I am only peeking and not letting all the heat escape. We all have to do what works for us. I cannot cover my molds because I pour to the very top so I had to come up with a different procedure for covering and retaining the heat. My only drawback is when I pour at emulsion condensation tends to collect hence the towel stretched across the top.

Let me start by saying thank you and how awesome that you live in a treehouse!

Thanks for the very detailed post. I don't have a heating pad, but it sounds like directly covering with the electric blanket is a no no

I get mine pretty how with my method and I mainly only check often when using new fragrances. I am only peeking and not letting all the heat escape. We all have to do what works for us. I cannot cover my molds because I pour to the very top so I had to come up with a different procedure for covering and retaining the heat. My only drawback is when I pour at emulsion condensation tends to collect hence the towel stretched across the top.

I forgot to ask, how high do you set the heat on the blanket. I don't know what temperature the soap would have to be at to ensure gel phase.

Also, how do I know if my soap as gone through gel phase? Asking for a friend.

Thanks for all the information and help! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back