Egyptian Magic All Purpose Skin Cream/bee keepers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyne Thrasher

Reaction score
362FFDCA-5B74-4C86-9B7A-D935134E4944.jpeg
I bought this for my Dad. I rarely spend money without a ton of research but I was feeling wild that day apparently. Anyway, it cost $20. I did consider it an extravagance but he has severe neuropathy in his feet which are forever cracked and calloused. He’s not going to use it so I am. Can any beekeepers tell me their opinion on the ingredients. And if it’s $20 wonderful I definitely would be trying to make my own. Other people might be interested in making their own as well as it seems pretty straightforward. It’s very soft, like unrefridgerates butter and I would probably try to make it a bit more solid. It doesn’t feel like it’s absorbing. I put it on my hands right after doing the dishes.

2A13AD01-F6CD-46BE-A2CC-0892E5663DA9.jpeg

Its the pollen, propolis and royal jelly that is driving up the price but it seems awfully expensive. I'd expect the pollen and propolis to make a darker product so I question how much is actually in it.

If you want a nice, non absorbing balm you can make one without all the extra bee products. Infuse some dried herbs of your choice in OO and use that in your balm.

If your dad is open to using creams at all, try this. Podiatrists recommend lotion with urea for neuropathy/diabetes. Its really thick but soaks in eventually.
I tend to use it before bed so it stays in place longer. I don't have neuropathy but my feet do crack to the point of bleeding and this really helps.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009F3M6A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Its the pollen, propolis and royal jelly that is driving up the price but it seems awfully expensive. I'd expect the pollen and propolis to make a darker product so I question how much is actually in it.

If you want a nice, non absorbing balm you can make one without all the extra bee products. Infuse some dried herbs of your choice in OO and use that in your balm.

If your dad is open to using creams at all, try this. Podiatrists recommend lotion with urea for neuropathy/diabetes. Its really thick but soaks in eventually.
I tend to use it before bed so it stays in place longer. I don't have neuropathy but my feet do crack to the point of bleeding and this really helps.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009F3M6A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Thanks @Obsidian! Much better price!

I love bee products, used to study them when I was into herbalism in my twenties. True propolis is especially pricey. It's great for you, but I couldn't afford to add that in many products. I try to minimize honey use myself because of the issues with the bees and honey shortages. Pollen I've mainly stuck to eating in supplements (capsules you can buy to fill) or sprinkling it on oatmeal.

To me $20 isn't that pricey if a product has all that, but I agree with the other poster you may save money and use other stuff instead.

Humble Bee and Me (Marie Rayma) has a dupe of it on her website.
https://www.humblebeeandme.com/diy-egyptian-magic/
The post is 5 years old, so there may be better/additional ingredients to add to it but the post might be a good start off point on how to get it done.
I have looked at her recipe for this many times, and would like to make someday, soon.

Back