Eggnog Soap: The Report

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

American Valkyrie

Reaction score
I tried the eggnog soap on Saturday. My basic recipe was 20% co, 40% po, and 40% oo, with a 50% water discount. After the lye cooled to 120 degrees, I added 4T honey (1T ppo). It heated back up to 170 degrees, so I let it cool again before I added it to the oils. It traced within 5 minutes to a thin trace, but further beating didn't produce a thicker trace after another 5 minutes. I added Model Dairy full-fat eggnog, heated up to about 120, at 50% of the water content. Right after I mixed all the eggnog in, it reached medium trace. I scooped out a tiny bit, mixed it with some ground nutmeg, and swirled it back in. By the time I poured it into the mold, it had reached a heavy trace.

I used a Rubbermaid casserole-style plastic pan with lid as a mold, lined with waxed paper. It holds 4-5 lbs of soap, and so far has been a great mold.

I immediately put the lid on and set it in the fridge.

An hour later, I checked on it. Despite the fridge, the inside was gelling and was HOT! If I hadn't had it in a cold area, it would have overheated for sure. About 1 inch into the mold didn't gel at all.

After 5 hours, when it was cooled to about room temperature, I took it out and set it on the counter, uninsulated, for the rest of the night.

The next morning, I could see an obvious difference between gel and non-gel. It was like the light beige versus the darker brown of this website. I unmolded it and sliced it with a chef's knife.

At the area where gel met non-gel, I started to encounter a cakelike crumble when I cut the soap. It wasn't dry and it had absolutely no zap. It was, in fact, moist with the texture of cake. I only got the crumbles at the cut points... the bars themselves held together well.

I apologize for the quality of the photos. All I have right now is my cell phone camera.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The edges that didn't gel stayed a creamy-honey color and smooth. When I cut through them, they didn't crumble until I got to the partial gel area.

These are the pieces that met gel and partial-gel stage. They held together well enough, but they had a very rustic crumby edge to them.

After all the soap had been cut, there were enough soft soap crumbs that I could make an extra bar or two of confetti soap. Instead, I had my husband dump them into the mop bucket when we scrubbed the house the next day.

Three days later, it was a bit darker, and still crumbly on the outside. It smells like caramel cake... not unpleasant, but it's not a scent I would correlate with soap. But then, my oatmeal-milk-honey soap also smelled a bit off at first, but a month later I really love the mild, natural scent.

My guess is that the 20 other ingredients added to the eggnog made it crumbly. The corn starch, the preservatives, etc. It's not straight cream or milk... there are so many other variables. If I had used the eggnog as 100% of the water, I'm sure these ingredients would have gotten in the way.

I haven't decided yet if this is a failed batch or not. It made soap... and the soap already lathers fairly well. I'm waiting to see if the scent will fade any, or if they hold up after being completely cured. But whether I would do it again... I don't think so. I like to be immediately satisfied with my soap, and though this may turn out to be perfectly good, it was too much concern over whether or not it would really turn out. And if it's something that nobody is interested in using, I don't see much point in repeating it. The experiment is done.

Thank you for sharing...
When I try something new, I like to make small batch - 1lb. This way if I don't like the outcome I don't feel like I wasted a lot of oils.

Awesome share!

Kinda look like a blondie brownie that got a tan, or Caramel Brownies.

How do they smell??

Keep up the good work!

It looks like penuche fudge!

Joy of Cooking has several homemade eggnog recipes that are pretty simple if you want to try again. They'd need to be adapted but at least you'd know what's in them. You'd have to come up with some sort of alternative for the booze because the alcohol would mess up your soap. Maybe a rum or brandy FO? And the egg whites would have to go or you'll get scrambled soap. You'd also have to make some sort of guesstimate for the amount of lye you'd need for the egg yolks (maybe calculate the base recipe with 0% discount and let the egg yolks be the superfat?) Nutmeg or allspice FO or EO? Could be an interesting experiment.

Thanks for sharing your results!

judymoody said:
Joy of Cooking has several homemade eggnog recipes that are pretty simple if you want to try again. They'd need to be adapted but at least you'd know what's in them.

That's what I was thinking, if there was a way to make your own (simplified) eggnog. But what a great experiment, thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. You're probably right about all the extra ingredients in the eggnog getting in the way. I'm wondering, though, if anyone else on the forum has had a successful store-bought eggnog soap experience? I really want to try it!

Update: I just tossed the entire batch of soap. It wasn't horrible... it just wasn't great. My house is the size of a postage stamp, and I was shuffling the pan of soap around, trying to find room for not-great soap. All my shelf space is needed for successful stuff.

SudsyKat said:
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. You're probably right about all the extra ingredients in the eggnog getting in the way. I'm wondering, though, if anyone else on the forum has had a successful store-bought eggnog soap experience? I really want to try it!

We just did an eggnog soap a couple days ago with a home made eggnog because we didn't want all the extra preservatives and thickeners. We did CP with only egg nog at a 30% lye concentration. So this was basically a milk soap, no water. I had a partial frozen slush of nog and mixed that with the lye (ooo it STUNK) and the eggs looked a bit cooked in there, so i whipped it a couple times with my blender to get a smoother consistency and then added it to my oils. We put a little nutmeg swirl in it also. The soap looks like eggnog! We cut it this morning and it still stunk and it was very wet still inside. I put it in the oven so speed up the curing and checked on it. OOHH it smells just like egg nog! I'm concerned with the high amount of fat in it and that this soap is going to have a VERY short shelf life due to all of the natural ingredients. Thoughts?

Just a thought about not-your-most-successful batches- I give soap that is perfectly usable but perhaps not the most attractive to one of the local food pantries. They are always looking for personal hygiene products and they were thrilled to have handmade soap to give out!

I, too, am curious about the short shelf life from using all of those fatty ingredients. Of course, we make soap with fatty milks and lasts just fine, so I'm not sure how much difference this would make. Also, I'm still curious to see if anyone has had success with the store bought eggnog. I'm making my eggnog soap this weekend, so it's very timely.

Also, I don't have any yellow coloring, so I'm going to go with a natural option - maybe some turmeric added to the oils? Any thoughts on this?

By the way - just as an FYI - WSP's "Cozy Christmas" smells EXACTLY like eggnog. Just a happy accident on my part. I was looking for a good eggnog FO, but had given up. I was so pleased when I opened this bottle.

Latest posts

Back