Eggnog no water- What do I need to know?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbr

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing an eggnog base soap. Real eggnog, not the fake stuff you buy with all the junk in it.

I've made goat's milk CP with success in the past, but never anything that contained eggs. So, beyond keeping the oils chilly and freezing the nog, is there anything else I should know before delving into a batch?

Tis the season and I'm really loving the idea.

Are you meaning eggnog with alcohol? If so, it won't be a good idea as the alcohol needs to be cooked off first. If the liquid contains alcohol, you can get a volcano when you mix in the lye or the soap can seize.
If you are using a non alcoholic eggnog, then I would treat it like milk. Mix the lye in slowly and try to keep it cool.

Yes, both the milk and the sugar contribute to overheating. I would chill my mold as well as put the soap in there once it's in the mold. Can hardly wait for you to tell us about the results!

Is it your hope that the nutmeg will survive the process. I love the idea, but you may need a nutmeg fragrance oil. At a minimum, I'd add some fresh nutmeg. It it survives the process, you will definitely be on to something. Good luck! Keep us up to date.

This may or may not be useful. When I've made egg soap in the past, until it fully cured, it had a green hue and a weird smell. Both the color and the scent fade with curing, but don't let it freak you out. :)

This may or may not be useful. When I've made egg soap in the past, until it fully cured, it had a green hue and a weird smell. Both the color and the scent fade with curing, but don't let it freak you out. :)

Very important tip, thanks!

The thought of using alcoholic eggnog hadn't even occurred to me- don't think I'll try that.

I really enjoy that Swedish egg white face soap. I thought this might be a fun take on that idea.

Yeah, I'll see what I can do to steer clear of sugars. I wouldn't want the extra heat to turn the nog yucky.

Thanks for the advise everyone! Much appreciated.

Ok folks, I finally threw a batch of "eggnog" soap together.

I didn't use a store bought eggnog because there are just too many weird ingredients in them, when I really just wanted the benefits of the egg and cream. So I concocted my own by using half half and half, half whole milk and one whole egg and a few egg whites I had leftover from Turkey Day.

I have to say, this is the easiest batch I've put together in a long time. Though it was slow to trace.

OO- 32%
CO -20%
PKO- 18%
And SAO, mango seed butter and Avocado at 10% each.

I also added a nutmeg FO as I realized I didn't have any real nutmeg when I was making it.

I soaped super cold- froze the milk and added the lye over an ice bath to avoid curdle. I then tempered my eggs (after having them sit on the counter to warm up for a while) with my oils.

I certainly hope that it stays this nice creamy color as it cures!! More pics at unmolding. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1417217071.268899.jpg

Also, I have those new Wilton Christmas tree molds and some left over soap (which I love experimenting with molds, so I don't really consider it a waste to make bigger batches). So, those will be fun! ImageUploadedBySoap Making1417217166.785117.jpg

Thank you all for all the good advice!

Last edited:
Ok, I was a bit impatient with the trees, but I think they're cute still. Gotta think of a way to dress them up. Any ideas?

By the way, I didn't try to color this at all, and the nutmeg FO is perfect. Smells just like eggnog. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1418087506.123102.jpg

Egg Nog without the calories! I love this whole idea. Your soap came out so creamy looking! It's on my list for next year's Christmas!

I saw those Christmas Tree molds recently and thought they'd make cute soap. Great job! Now I'll have to run around shopping until I remember where I saw them. Poor me...shopping.... Love your soap and I bet the scent is warm and comforting! :thumbup:

Back