Egg yolk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird :shock:
What does the egg yolk do for the soap?

If you add an egg yolk to your gravy it makes it thick creamy and delicious, you have to temper it in really slowly so it doesn't curdle.

I wonder if it would curdle in the soap with the heat? Maybe it makes soap thick creamy and delicious too, huh. :wink:

I use one yolk PPO - the difference in the soap is truly amazing - the lather is rich and deep as well as hugely conditioning.

You do need to temper the egg yolk. The way to do it is to beat the yolk first then add warm oils and beat - then add back into the oils without your lye and blend it really, really well, then you can add your lye and soap as usual. This is best made RTCP. One of my favourite soaps!

I hear it's great to add egg yolk to shampoo bars. Suppose it'd be good in a dog shampoo? I superfat dog shampoo, but not regular shampoo bars.

What about using powdered egg yolk and SB into oils? I have some on hand. How about I try it in a batch of dog shampoo tonight and report back?

BakingNana said:
What about using powdered egg yolk and SB into oils? I have some on hand. How about I try it in a batch of dog shampoo tonight and report back?
That might work. It would be like making mayo; no? Try it.

Lindy said:
I use one yolk PPO - the difference in the soap is truly amazing - the lather is rich and deep as well as hugely conditioning.

You do need to temper the egg yolk. The way to do it is to beat the yolk first then add warm oils and beat - then add back into the oils without your lye and blend it really, really well, then you can add your lye and soap as usual. This is best made RTCP. One of my favourite soaps!

What Lindy said!

IrishLass :)

Lindy and IrishLass, any other good ingredients to compliment the egg yolks?

I'm kinda leaning toward a bit of lanolin. And maybe beeswax. And cocoa butter. And olive oil. Well, I guess everything is sounding good. I'm not really wanting to make a shampoo bar, just something that sounds homey and nourishing.

Wow...egg yolk in soap? I think I will have to try it, I need good soap for my dogs. I think I will try it tonight with 1lb batch.

Alright. Here's what I'm trying.

Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Cocoa Butter
Avocado Oil
Lanolin
Beeswax
Castor Oil
Egg yolks (1.5 ppo)

Sound nourishing?
I'll report back.

Edit to add: I dropped the superfat on this to 3%, figuring the eggs will add quite a bit.

Lindy said:

Sounds interesting! Lindy, would you define "warm" as in when you are adding the warm oils to the beaten egg?

My poor husband--a mad scientist woman has invaded the kitchen putting all the food into soap! :wink:

GardenGirl said:
Alright. Here's what I'm trying.

Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Cocoa Butter
Avocado Oil
Lanolin
Beeswax
Castor Oil
Egg yolks (1.5 ppo)

Sound nourishing?
I'll report back.

Did this today. All went just fine.

Tempered yolks with a bit of warm oil and whisked it till smooth.

Mixed lye and oils (~85 degrees), brought to very light trace and then scooped out a bit of it and whisked it into the egg mix.

Once that was smooth, poured the egg mix slowly into soap while using stick blender. Stopped to scrape out last bits of egg, stick blended a bit more.

Whisked in eo's/additives and poured.

I'll report back in 4 weeks!

ToniD said:
Lindy said:

Sounds interesting! Lindy, would you define "warm" as in when you are adding the warm oils to the beaten egg?

Not Lindy, but I checked the temp of my oil before adding it to the beaten egg and it was around 90. At first I thought maybe I'd cooked the egg, but a few whisks with a fork made it smooth.

Thanks! I will look forward to your post letting us know how the soap turned out!

Sounds like it will come out fine. If I wanted to do something similar, I would have to leave the beeswax out as it has a higher melt point.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this post. 90* F is about right. You don't want to cook the yolks and you need to beat them in really well or you do end up with scrambled egg soap..... not bad for a gentle exfoliator.... :p Don't try to add the whites because it really does turn into scrambled egg soap, nasty. Something else I've learned along the way with this is that you really need to try and get the "film" off the yolk as it contains egg whites and depending on how much is attached it isn't very pretty. Not a huge deal but you may find it in your soap.....

Any soap recipe can benefit from the egg yolks so really, it's a matter of playing....

Just made dog shampoo with 2 egg yolks and 30 oz. oils. The eggs were farm eggs and the yolks were really orange. Looks like lemon pie filling. I beat the EOs and some of the oils (110 F) into the yolks with a fork, then SB the yolk mixture into oils. No problems at all. Can't wait to see what it's like tomorrow.

Back