Egg Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymy

Reaction score
As the title says, has anyone ever made a successful batch of egg soap? it's always good to hear from all of you experienced soapers!

What do you mean by "Egg Soap"? How much egg? Many people put egg in to certain soaps, such as shampoo bars, be it real egg or powdered, but the amount is usually so low that it can't really be considered an "Egg Soap" in the same way that the amount of sugar that I put in my soaps is so low that I can't really say it is a "Sugar Soap"

Question for you all about the whole Raw Egg in the soap thing.

I know in a normal situation you would want anything that contains egg products to be heated to a point where the chance of salmonella developing is eliminated does the soap batter get to this temperature and could it develop at a later date if it is not cooked properly in the soap?

Todd

What do you mean by "Egg Soap"? How much egg? Many people put egg in to certain soaps, such as shampoo bars, be it real egg or powdered, but the amount is usually so low that it can't really be considered an "Egg Soap" in the same way that the amount of sugar that I put in my soaps is so low that I can't really say it is a "Sugar Soap"

I read a blog which the author used a whole egg per pound of oil and she kept mentioning 'egg soap' and labelled her soap as 'egg soap'. I guess the vibe from the blog is haunting me.

I haven't made any, but here is a thread from the forum for you to read -
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=18164

thank you for the share! I'll check it out right away.

Question for you all about the whole Raw Egg in the soap thing.

I know in a normal situation you would want anything that contains egg products to be heated to a point where the chance of salmonella developing is eliminated does the soap batter get to this temperature and could it develop at a later date if it is not cooked properly in the soap?

Todd
would love to know the answer for this as well.

I was planning on attempting a recipe as soon as some oils get delivered. The recipe I found used two egg yolks. I have plenty of eggs around here so I was excited to try it out.

If you were to cook eggs, you need to cook above 140° to kill any salmonella, as long as you let your soap go thru gel phase (up to 180° right?) It should kill all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand adding egg yolk, it is fat, after all. I am a tad concerned about adding the white, as it is mostly protein. I would be worried about scrambled egg in my soap.

If i remember correctly, there's a YouTube video that I've watched, she didn't gel the soap.

I bought soap once that had a whole egg, the whites were cooked in little bits, it was gross. I have used yolks before, makes a nice soap and there is no way any kind of bacteria is going to survive the lye.

I wonder if the high ph of the lye would kill any nasty bacteria?

S. typhii cannot survive in pH 9.5 onwards while lye is 14.

I bought soap once that had a whole egg, the whites were cooked in little bits, it was gross. I have used yolks before, makes a nice soap and there is no way any kind of bacteria is going to survive the lye.

sorry to hear that. maybe there are specific ways to prevent such state. hmmmm

Back