Egg cartons?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afbrat

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used empty egg cartons as soap molds? Was thinking about trying them, but I have no clue how they would hold up and whether I would need to line them?

I wouldn't think they would hold up very well against the heat/liquid/chemical reaction...unless you're talking M&P and the Styrofoam sort of ones...then I have no idea :) The heat would still worry me a little though. Lining them seems like it would be a nightmare.

If you're looking for small molds, maybe ice cube trays from the dollar store?

you could use them if you lined them with some plastic wrap afbrat. But there's lots of other things that work better - silicone ice cube trays, plastic drawer organizers lined with plastic, boxes galore, pringles cans or other cylindrical containers. There's also a good thread in here about building your own molds with wood. And look below this thread for more posts on molds.

Thanks! I just was wondering because I'm poor and curious. Lol

My first batch of soap was made in a milk carton. Just wash it, let it dry, pour your soap in, close up the top again, cover with a towel, let it harden, then peel away the carton. Makes a great mold. I would think the egg carton would absorb oil, and the soap would stick and you'd have a big mess on your hands. But the milk carton, being waxed, works great.

Thanks! I'll definitely check that out!

I'm also hoping to talk the hubs into making me a mold out of a pallet he has just laying around

Wouldn't that be lovely! Boyfriend has been complaining that he needs a hobby and I'm strongly campaigning for woodworking.

Back