Quantcast

Egg cartons?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

afbrat

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used empty egg cartons as soap molds? Was thinking about trying them, but I have no clue how they would hold up and whether I would need to line them?

Stacy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't think they would hold up very well against the heat/liquid/chemical reaction...unless you're talking M&P and the Styrofoam sort of ones...then I have no idea :) The heat would still worry me a little though. Lining them seems like it would be a nightmare.

If you're looking for small molds, maybe ice cube trays from the dollar store?

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ice cube trays are difficult to unmold unless you plan to use SL or freeze them.

Seawolfe

Reaction score
you could use them if you lined them with some plastic wrap afbrat. But there's lots of other things that work better - silicone ice cube trays, plastic drawer organizers lined with plastic, boxes galore, pringles cans or other cylindrical containers. There's also a good thread in here about building your own molds with wood. And look below this thread for more posts on molds.

rparrny

Reaction score
I don't know about soap but they make a great drying rack for bath bombs!

navigator9

Reaction score
Thanks! I just was wondering because I'm poor and curious. Lol
My first batch of soap was made in a milk carton. Just wash it, let it dry, pour your soap in, close up the top again, cover with a towel, let it harden, then peel away the carton. Makes a great mold. I would think the egg carton would absorb oil, and the soap would stick and you'd have a big mess on your hands. But the milk carton, being waxed, works great.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly right. And you saved lots of time and error by asking first.

TeaLeavesandTweed

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll definitely check that out!

I'm also hoping to talk the hubs into making me a mold out of a pallet he has just laying around
Wouldn't that be lovely! Boyfriend has been complaining that he needs a hobby and I'm strongly campaigning for woodworking.

afbrat

Reaction score
Lol! Woodworking would be a good hobby for a soaper's significant other!

Latest posts