EG inspired

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I fell in love with EG's simple poppy seed soap the first time he posted a picture of it but I was afraid to duplicate it.
I thought the ground poppy seeds would be too scratchy for me but I couldn't take it anymore and went for it.
I used HO safflower oil in place of the normal OO. Scented with Jacob FO from the sage. Only color is some white mica, you can see the glitter in a couple pics.

blue cornflower petals and miniature pomegranate petals on top.
71lj0y.jpg

349b4w5.jpg

2vv6jus.jpg

I think they should be ok, they ground down to a size/texture of black pepper. My soap cracked right down the middle though, I tied CPOP but needed the oven for dinner. It didn't seem in gel when I removed it but it was quite warm, when I checked again, it had cracked.
Fixed it up, hide the damage with more blue petals and tossed it in the freezer.

Those petals are so pretty. I haven't seen pomeagranite ones before.:clap:

Love the whole look Obsidian especially the sweet little pomegranate petals! Have you used them before and do they turn brown eventually? Not that I have access to any but inquiring minds need to know . . .

Mine mostly gelled and it does seem to be slightly grayish with the ungelled bits being more white. I tried to reduce the grey by soaking the poppy seeds and rinsing well until the water ran clear. I was really surprised by how dingy and milky the water was.
The pomegranate petals inside the soap are turning black. I'll have to keep a close eye on the topping and see how long they stay red. Cut pics coming later.

Thank you:) I tried a bar on my hands, the poppy seeds weren't scratchy at all which really surprised me. I'll probably try it in the shower soon, even though its not properly cured.

I am sad to report that the pretty pomegranate petals turned a deep brownish orange on the bar I used. I need to pick as many off the bars as I can. Hopefully the cornflowers won't be as ugly.

I wonder, what do florists do to preserve dried flowers? Is there some sort of clear glue, spray, protectant we could be spraying on them, letting it dry, before we subject them to the wet soap/lye? Or whatever it is that make them turn when we set them on top? I mean, we knock them off before we actually use the bar in the shower, I would assume, so I would also assume such protectant would not be getting on a person, per se. Just throwing that out there for musings, as I have no idea, really. Would be wonderful to criss cross hobbies and discover something.

ETA......Love the soap! It is gorgeous, love the all white.

Back