Effects of additives on orange EO scent retention

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@linne1gi and @dibbles

Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. The soap made without an additive smells just like the others, except that the soap made with the calendula powder also smells a little like straw.

@Peachy Clean Soap my orange EO is 6x from Camden Grey in Florida.
Wow, that’s great. I had 2 soaps that I experimented with last year. I added Blood Orange essential oil to both, but kaolin clay to one (I marinated the essential oil in the clay for about an hour - usually I like to marinate overnight). The one that was marinated with the clay smelled great 6 weeks later and the soap with no clay had literally no scent 6 weeks later.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@linne1gi and @dibbles

Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. The soap made without an additive smells just like the others, except that the soap made with the calendula powder also smells a little like straw.
So, it would seem, then, that the jury is still out on whether or not the additives actually help. I have some calendula powder to use in a soap with my home grown calendula petals and infused oil, so good to know about the straw smell. I'll have to pick something to compliment that.

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So, it would seem, then, that the jury is still out on whether or not the additives actually help. I have some calendula powder to use in a soap with my home grown calendula petals and infused oil, so good to know about the straw smell. I'll have to pick something to compliment that.
For my soaps, we won’t know until the orange scent is gone. When I decided to use only 3% it seemed like a high bar to set for an orange eo. So far, so good.

I’ve used calendula petals before and never noticed a scent. Don’t forget that for this round of testing, the additives ended up at 4 tsp ppo, plus the petals were blitzed in a food processor and were fairly fine.

@linne1gi I haven’t used blood orange eo, but haven’t had any luck with straight orange eo hanging around.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Mobjack Bay - I haven't noticed a smell with calendula petals either. I was referring to the calendula powder, which I haven't used before but plan to add to at least part of my batch. When I get around to making it. The oil has been infusing for a month now, so it's ready when I am.

edit: I went back and read and what you are calling calendula powder in post #20 is ground calendula petals. I think the powder I have is made from the whole flower, not just the petals. But you did also mention a slight straw smell in that one.

Last edited:

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@Mobjack Bay - I haven't noticed a smell with calendula petals either. I was referring to the calendula powder, which I haven't used before but plan to add to at least part of my batch. When I get around to making it. The oil has been infusing for a month now, so it's ready when I am.

edit: I went back and read and what you are calling calendula powder in post #20 is ground calendula petals. I think the powder I have is made from the whole flower, not just the petals. But you did also mention a slight straw smell in that one.
I have a bag of petals, a bag of dried flowers and I’m pretty sure I still have a container of the powder I made from calendula petals. I guess a sniff test of those is on my list of to-dos! I only use the whole dried flowers when I’m making infused oil for balms.

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that’s great. I had 2 soaps that I experimented with last year. I added Blood Orange essential oil to both, but kaolin clay to one (I marinated the essential oil in the clay for about an hour - usually I like to marinate overnight). The one that was marinated with the clay smelled great 6 weeks later and the soap with no clay had literally no scent 6 weeks later.
Wow' gotta try your magic bullet 😉👍🏼🧼

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bag of petals, a bag of dried flowers and I’m pretty sure I still have a container of the powder I made from calendula petals. I guess a sniff test of those is on my list of to-dos! I only use the whole dried flowers when I’m making infused oil for balms.
Sorry to add to your to do list 😝