eep I screwed up!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapshark

Reaction score
I just made a gigantic double-batch of soap. I don't know how or why this happened, I usually make it with, half olive oil and the other parts palm and coconut oil - but this time I made it with equal parts olive oil and coconut oil (40 oz each) with the amount of lye I would need for the palm oil recipe (12 oz lye, 28 oz water)

What should I do? It looked okay when I put it in the molds (I didn't realize until I went to make another batch). I sell these so I'm not sure what to do. Can I cut the soap into pieces and distribute into a new batch? Or will these bars be okay?

Hi Soapshark. I ran your recipe thru soapcalc using 40 oz of each oil, a 38% water discount & 5% superfat. The amounts I got for lye & water were 45.6 oz water, 17.5 oz lye. Maybe you could run your exact recipe amounts used, thru soapcalc & rebatch it with the amount of lye solution that you're short? I hope that helps.

I agree with SoapAddict's reply. Shred the batch, make another batch with 33.3 oz palm, 12.6 oz water and 4.4 oz lye and add the shredded soap to the palm batch.

Don't worry about it. It should be fine. I ran the 50/50 recipe through the MMS lye calculator and 12 oz. of lye will give you a 6% discount. There's no sense in rebatching it. That would be a huge waste of time and effort.

DottieF -

The cleansing value is very high for her 50/50 batch which is why I recommend rebatching. I think most people would find it extremely drying. I don't think many people could tolerate a cleansing value of 34 without a much higher superfat.

Back