Eeek! Does anybody actually use with this oil!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My youngest daughter wore it neat all through high school. She should have been raised in the hippy era as I was. I hated it back then and during the 60's era, but now happen to like the Dark Aged Patchouli. It has really had a comeback with younger customers the last couple of years and stays popular with many from the sixties.

Wooo hoooo i am gonna weigh in on this one. I never did like patch until my friend asked me to make soap for her with it. Annnnd she made me pour a whole bottle in. Well my house smelled for ages but it turns out i got to like it and i found that after the soap aged it smelled wonderful. Now i am a fan.

Funny thing is i made soap for myself with a small amount of patchouli and boy could i smell it but nobody else could.

Gonna make more!

I LOVE patchouli, always have. I think it started when I was in high school and a guy I thought was cool always wore it. I like it plain, mixed with something like orange to brighten it, or mixed with oakmoss or vetiver to deepen it. But generally, there are exceptions, I like most things that have a prominent patchouli note.

Hmmm. Well the one that spread through our house smelled exactly like rich heavy mould.
Im curious now as to what it is supposed to actually smell like. Maybe he was wearing a knock off china brand. Next time im at a perfume department or fair with soaps i will enquire if they have patchiuli so i can see if there is any difference.

Patch is one of my favorite scents. I like to mix it with Dragons Blood and a splash of Orange. * inhalllllllllllle...exhale* mmm yesssssssss!

I have no understanding on the patchouli oil scent.. to me it smells exactly like mould.
We had a customer come in with it on. I had no clue that this was a thing. I just smelt this horrible smell like a mould bomb had gone off.. and was running around trying to nail it down where it was coming from. I had to open all the windows in the house. But it wouldnt go away. When the customer left i was freaking on my h about helping me where to find out where the smell was coming from. I Thought maybe we had a leak in our air conditioner system. Or a wet dead rat had gotten caught in our ducts. He started laughing..He said it was this patchouli oil that the customer was wearing! That the customer was a recovering addict and a lot of them wear it as its cheap. I could not wrap my head around a man thinking that would attract a woman. Its more like a repellant.
Either way I was not happy as i could not get the odour out. Customers were coming and i was worried they would think that I did not keep a clean house. I made him explain to the customers when they arrived what they were smelling. I was not happy as for some reason, it must be a heavy oil of some sort as it stuck in the air for hours. Not as pungent as before but still lingering. I felt very bad for my Two Gs’s.
To each their own but i will never make patchouli oil soaps in my house is all im saying. Am I the only one that feels this is satans perfume?
What ever happened to normal man scents such as old spice or Draker?

So I am guessing you are not a child of the 60's, the 70's or ever attended a Grateful Dead concert? Of course, even in Canada, I am pretty sure folks of that era would have had some exposure. Maybe not as much as my generation who lived in in the vicinity. But patchouli has been around a very very long time. Longer than Old Spice.

https://www.korunaturals.com/blog/nz-fusion-releases-patch-new-patchouli-solid-fragrance/

So I am guessing you are not a child of the 60's, the 70's or ever attended a Grateful Dead concert? Of course, even in Canada, I am pretty sure folks of that era would have had some exposure. Maybe not as much as my generation who lived in in the vicinity. But patchouli has been around a very very long time. Longer than Old Spice.

https://www.korunaturals.com/blog/nz-fusion-releases-patch-new-patchouli-solid-fragrance/
I am sure folks in Canada would have had some exposure. Remember the number of deserters and draft dodgers than ran to Canada. This was during the prime Hippy Era

I am sure folks in Canada would have had some exposure. Remember the number of deserters and draft dodgers than ran to Canada. This was during the prime Hippy Era
Speaking as a Canadian from that era, I can assure you that patchouli was the prevalent fragrance of the late 60's and 70's. Whenever I smell it, I'm transported right back.

Hmmm. Well the one that spread through our house smelled exactly like rich heavy mould.
Im curious now as to what it is supposed to actually smell like. Maybe he was wearing a knock off china brand. Next time im at a perfume department or fair with soaps i will enquire if they have patchiuli so i can see if there is any difference.

For what it's worth, the patchouli EO that I have and that I made my dear friend's soap for her sister with is high quality Aged, Dark Patchouli EO from Liberty Naturals. My friend's sister absolutely loved it, but to me, my hubby and son, it smelled like mold/mould, regardless. It could be that the scent receptors in your nose are similar ours- i.e., just not compatible with some naturally present component in patchouli that presents itself as smelling of mold/mould to our noses.

I find it's the same kind of thing with jasmine eo.....to me, it smells like a beautiful flower, but for others, it smells like cat pee. That's because of the naturally present indole in jasmine. Cat pee is also high in indole, and there are some folks whose scent receptors in their noses are so highly sensitive to indole that all they can smell is cat pee when taking a sniff of jasmine.

IrishLass :)

For what it's worth, the patchouli EO that I have and that I made my dear friend's soap for her sister with is high quality Aged, Dark Patchouli EO from Liberty Naturals. My friend's sister absolutely loved it, but to me, my hubby and son, it smelled like mold/mould, regardless. It could be that the scent receptors in your nose are similar ours- i.e., just not compatible with some naturally present component in patchouli that presents itself as smelling of mold/mould to our noses.

I find it's the same kind of thing with jasmine eo.....to me, it smells like a beautiful flower, but for others, it smells like cat pee. That's because of the naturally present indole in jasmine. Cat pee is also high in indole, and there are some folks whose scent receptors in their noses are so highly sensitive to indole that all they can smell is cat pee when taking a sniff of jasmine.

I didn’t know that about jasmine. I made a special soap for my step mother using Monoi de Tahiti oil. Everyone I know can smell the scent except her. So much for that idea.

This^^^

When we were researching new markets we looked into jasmine, patchouli etc and the components that make them smell ' amazing' not everyone has. Jasmine can either smell floral and musky or like pee or vomit - it just depends on how your nose perceives it.

I LOVE patchouli! I've made soaps and butters that have turned people on to patchouli. As someone else responded, Dark is the best. It's deep, creamy, balsamic and delicious. However, Light is funky, animalic and dank. Use light in small doses, blended. Dark can stand alone.

I'm curious now lol and am looking for the dark patchouli.. I wonder if anyone is selling it locally.

@IrishLass thanks for that bit about jasmine... I learned something new today :D

Back