Eeek! Does anybody actually use with this oil!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharee

Reaction score
I have no understanding on the patchouli oil scent.. to me it smells exactly like mould.
We had a customer come in with it on. I had no clue that this was a thing. I just smelt this horrible smell like a mould bomb had gone off.. and was running around trying to nail it down where it was coming from. I had to open all the windows in the house. But it wouldnt go away. When the customer left i was freaking on my h about helping me where to find out where the smell was coming from. I Thought maybe we had a leak in our air conditioner system. Or a wet dead rat had gotten caught in our ducts. He started laughing..He said it was this patchouli oil that the customer was wearing! That the customer was a recovering addict and a lot of them wear it as its cheap. I could not wrap my head around a man thinking that would attract a woman. Its more like a repellant.
Either way I was not happy as i could not get the odour out. Customers were coming and i was worried they would think that I did not keep a clean house. I made him explain to the customers when they arrived what they were smelling. I was not happy as for some reason, it must be a heavy oil of some sort as it stuck in the air for hours. Not as pungent as before but still lingering. I felt very bad for my Two Gs’s.
To each their own but i will never make patchouli oil soaps in my house is all im saying. Am I the only one that feels this is satans perfume?
What ever happened to normal man scents such as old spice or Draker?

I think patchouli is very very much love or hate. I've never met somebody who had neutral feelings about it, lol. I personally really like it, but a little goes a LONG way. IMO, it's best utilized in a blend. It's kind of like anchovies - a tiny amount can do amazing things to boost flavor but its' very easy to go overboard.

I like Patchouli. In small amounts.

For me it's like garlic lol
It's noticeable when it's there and noticeable when it's not there and I like both garlic and patchouli there haha

Same with lavender incidentally....

@KiwiMoose also loves it.. With "the ferocity of a thousand suns" hehehe

haha I like patchouli oil. but don't like old spice or draker or for that matter any of the scents my son likes :) I do make some manly scents whether I like them or not. that's what happens when you sell. after all I am not going to be using them. and I have soooo many scents I my house that I very rarely pick out one scent at a time

I am one of the patchouli lovers too....like the earthy scents..I even have patchouli seeds to grow my own but I understand the process is a bit more complicated than distilling from leaves freshly picked...love vetiver also. Patchouli really is what everyone else says, love or hate and it lasts for Years..It was very popular among the hippies in the 60's...and it is not particularly cheap..its a to each his own oil.

I think patchouli is very very much love or hate. I've never met somebody who had neutral feelings about it, lol.

Me! Me! Me! Lol
I am on the fence about patchouli...I don't love it and I don't hate it. It's just a scent to me. I actually feel that way about most scents- there's rarely an FO that stands out to me one way or another. I guess I don't have a refined sniffer. Lol ;)

I think patchouli is like peppermint and lavender....blends with a LOT of things and the EOs are inexpensive enough and strong enough that I wouldn't bother with FOs. I do love it though, as do many people I know. I'm too young to associate it with hippies, but t's an absolute staple at women's music festivals, women's bookstores, etc., etc. etc.

Patchouli - a little bit goes a long way.
I recall some 30 years ago, riding my motorcycle along a highway next to a river somewhere in Western Oregon. There was a VW van parked next to the river about 20 or 30 yards off the road and there were a coupe folks in the river and a couple folks next to the van on shore. The smell of patchouli hit me like a board across the chest as I rode past doing at least 50mph.
I don't dislike patchouli but it is easy to use way too much.

I have no understanding on the patchouli oil scent.. to me it smells exactly like mould.

LOL! I'm with you 100%. It's my least favorite scent on the planet! My nose just has an absolute aversion to it. Thankfully, nobody else in my household or among my friends likes it either so I don't have to smell it except for the occasional trip to Wholefoods or craft fairs or something, lol, but I did make a batch of patchouli soap once as a favor for a very dear friend who wanted to gift it to her patchouli-loving sister for her birthday. If she wasn't such a very dear friend to me, I can't say I would have done it for her. I made the soap early in the day when everyone was out of the house at work and I was home alone so that it would't be an offense to anyone else's noses, but when my hubby and son came home later that evening, they physically recoiled and were sure that I must have spent the day cleaning out the fridge of moldy food containers or something, because that's exactly what they both smelled upon entering the house- mold (or mould). I mistakenly hoped that most of the patchouli smell would have dissipated by the time they got home, but no such luck. The scent hit them like a wall mold the moment they came through the door. lol

Having said all of that, I have found that it does make a good blender in very small doses (I had to find something to do with the leftover patchouli eo I had bought, afterall).

IrishLass :)

My youngest daughter wore it neat all through high school. She should have been raised in the hippy era as I was. I hated it back then and during the 60's era, but now happen to like the Dark Aged Patchouli. It has really had a comeback with younger customers the last couple of years and stays popular with many from the sixties. This is the one I use https://tinyurl.com/y4ae2auv

I love patchouli and would happy wear it daily but hubby hates it.

I'm confused by your hubbys comment about the price though, good patch is quite expensive.
Around here, people who smoke weed wear it as it covers the scent of the pot.

My youngest daughter wore it neat all through high school. She should have been raised in the hippy era as I was. I hated it back then and during the 60's era, but now happen to like the Dark Aged Patchouli. It has really had a comeback with younger customers the last couple of years and stays popular with many from the sixties. This is the one I use https://tinyurl.com/y4ae2auv

Yes I just received my order from them and it IS Nice!

We had a regular customer at a restaurant I used to manage that bathed in patch it seemed. I had no idea what that horrendous smell could be until one of the bartenders clued me in.

Back