Quantcast

Edta

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

nframe

Reaction score
I found somebody on Ebay who sells it. This is the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EDTA-for-...087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ed90cc3f7

It is sold for treating sulphated batteries. This is what they say about it:
"Please note the product we sell is EDTA acid, tetrasodium salt dihydrate, C10H12N2Na4O8.2H2O, CAS 10378-23-1."

I wrote to them to ask whether it is suitable for soap-making but they have not replied. What do you think?

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It sounds to me like it's different. The tetrasodium EDTA that I have from LotionCrafters (that I use in lotion and soap) has a different CAS#: 64-02-8. And it also has a different name: Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, tetrasodium salt hydrate (notice that there's no 'di' in front of 'hydrate').

IrishLass :)

Saponista

Reaction score
So expensive! When I worked in a lab we had massive 20kg drums of it and didn't pay anywhere near that price. Wonder if I can get an old colleague to get me a bit to try.

I usually buy chemicals mistral and they have 3 different sorts available. If you decide to use edta more often and want larger quantities I would have a look there. They have three different sorts. I think this might be the one but please correct me if I am wrong and I will change the link.

http://mistralni.co.uk/products/edta-na4-ethylenediaminetetraacetic-acid-tetra-sod

Last edited:

nframe

Reaction score
So expensive! When I worked in a lab we had massive 20kg drums of it and didn't pay anywhere near that price. Wonder if I can get an old colleague to get me a bit to try.

I usually buy chemicals mistral and they have 3 different sorts available. If you decide to use edta more often and want larger quantities I would have a look there. They have three different sorts. I think this might be the one but please correct me if I am wrong and I will change the link.

http://mistralni.co.uk/products/edta-na4-ethylenediaminetetraacetic-acid-tetra-sod
Thank you for that. I had seen it on their website before but they only sell to businesses unfortunately.

And thank you Sonya for the link on Ebay. As Saponista said, it is very expensive. I still bought it though... Soap-making can be an expensive hobby...

Saponista

Reaction score
I'm not a business nframe and have bought sodium hydroxide from them and IPM, coco betaine and peg7 glycerol cocoate. They delivered to my home address without a problem or a query of whether I was a business.

nframe

Reaction score
I'm not a business nframe and have bought sodium hydroxide from them and IPM, coco betaine and peg7 glycerol cocoate. They delivered to my home address without a problem or a query of whether I was a business.
This is good to know. This is what is written on their website: "Please note that we only sell to other businesses, or customers who are using products for professional purposes. Please do not register if you are not a professional customer." What did you put in the business name, which is a compulsory field?

Saponista

Reaction score
I registered over a year ago, maybe they have changed their rules since then. I checked and my account is still active. You could just put Savons De Nicole in?

Latest posts