Edta usage advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScentedExpressionsSupp

Reaction score
So I've searched the forum over a couple times and maybe I missed it but wanna ask to sooth my own mind. I have purchased some edta to add to my batches, I see its .5% of total batch weight that you use of it. But when is it added? May i get a few that have added it before and after trace? Some to lye water? Water of it own then added to oils? I would personally like to add it after trace but want to see how its been used by you guys and if the way you've used it has better results than another way. Thanks in advance! :)

Did you read the EDTA article on my website? All the way to the end to the paragraphs in the section How should I add it to my soap?? The answer and the solution are both right there.

If my advice is not clear in the article, please let me know so I can clarify.

DeeAnna has answered you already, so I’ll just say I’ve never had a problem following her directions. Did you make a 50% EDTA solution or just add the powder to your batch water. And if you did the latter, was the lye already in the water?

I had 33% lye solution, I used the powder and mixed it into my water after lye was added.

I am going to try making the 50% solution above the section, how do I add it to my soap. And use it this way. Or just add it before the lye. I added it to the lye solution because it stated i could, if my lye solution was 33% or below. At least that's how I understood the article. My hubby understood it that way too. Thanks ladies for your replies.

I add the t-edta solution to either the FO and then to the oils, or straight to the oils. I don't think it really matters when it's added. If I am wrong about that, I am sure someone will let me know. But so far, I have not had any trouble adding it even to my FO. Why you may ask? Well, when I weigh my small items (FO, EDTA, micas, etc.), I use a smaller scale that can handle smaller increments of measure that the one I use for my oils & Lye can't measure accurately. So while I'm weighing those out, I just mix the EDTA & FO together sometimes (if there is room in the container for both). Sometimes I add it to the pot of oils instead when it is a larger batch & my measure cup (steel condiment cup) can't handle the mix. In any case, I add the FO & EDTA to the oils at pretty much the same time anyway.

In the paragraph in my article that start "How should I add it to my soap?", I recommend adding EDTA to the fats, and then adding the lye solution. I intended the next paragraph to be an explanation of why I recommend what I recommend, but obviously I missed the mark. I will delete the explanation paragraph entirely.

As far as how to use a 50% EDTA solution, that's in the article too. Here's an edited version --

"...You can make an EDTA solution in any concentration up to about 50% by weight (50 grams EDTA and 50 grams of distilled water). Measure the desired amount of EDTA powder and mix with distilled water until the EDTA is fully dissolved. Store in a labeled, airtight container.

"...here is how to calculate the amount of 50% EDTA solution to use...:
"50% EDTA solution weight = 2 X EDTA powder wt

"...If using an EDTA solution, blend it into your fats along with any other additives you want to add to the fats, add the lye solution, and soap as usual. If using EDTA powder, mix the powder into the water or water-based liquid in your recipe until the powder is dissolved and blend this mixture into your fats...."

In the paragraph in my article that start "How should I add it to my soap?", I recommend adding EDTA to the fats, and then adding the lye solution. I intended the next paragraph to be an explanation of why I recommend what I recommend, but obviously I missed the mark. I will delete the explanation paragraph entirely.

As far as how to use a 50% EDTA solution, that's in the article too. Here's an edited version --

"...You can make an EDTA solution in any concentration up to about 50% by weight (50 grams EDTA and 50 grams of distilled water). Measure the desired amount of EDTA powder and mix with distilled water until the EDTA is fully dissolved. Store in a labeled, airtight container.

"...here is how to calculate the amount of 50% EDTA solution to use...:
"50% EDTA solution weight = 2 X EDTA powder wt

"...If using an EDTA solution, blend it into your fats along with any other additives you want to add to the fats, add the lye solution, and soap as usual. If using EDTA powder, mix the powder into the water or water-based liquid in your recipe until the powder is dissolved and blend this mixture into your fats...."
Thank you so much for.your reply!

Latest posts

Back