EDTA in Lotions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you make lotions but if any of you use Creammaker Blend Emulsifier from Making Cosmetics and I am sure others have the same emulsifier under another name, or use Glyceryl Stearate in your emulsification system Do not add in EDTA. EDTA cannot be used with Glyceryl Stearate. I ran across the info when I was trying to figure out what would have caused 2 batches of lotions to go south. The only thing they had in common was Glyceryl Stearate and edta so I am guessing that may have been the fine bubbling that was going on. I have not found much information except not to use edta with it.

The more I delve into making lotions the more I see ingredients that are not compatible with each other. Some emulsifiers cannot be used with some preservatives

Wow Cmzaha good info so short story Lotion pro 165 inci: Glyceryl Stearate (and) PEG 100 Stearate, and Emulsimulse inci;Glyceryl Stearate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate can not be used with EDTA
Thank you

Last edited:
Wow Cmzaha good info so short story Lotion pro 165 inci: Glyceryl Stearate (and) PEG 100 Stearate, and Emulsimulse inci;Glyceryl Stearate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate can not be used with EDTA
Thank you
Yep. I do not remember which cosmetic site that I found it on. I though it was Hallstar but it was not. I do wonder why I have only found it on one site. What happened with the lotions I had trouble with is they had tiny bubbles like something fermenting. They did not smell off or no discoloration but I would not use them. So I simply leave out the edta.

I found , I think on Susan's site about Phenonip and polysorbate 80 , the late one will or may deactivate Phenonip, Ewax INCI: Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Polysorbate 60
in this case for my sugar scrub I use Lotionpro 165 or BMTS-50 .
How much do you add of EDTA to lotion Carolyn? I am thinking that 0.1% is enough. What do you think? I use distilled water.
When I was using Optiphen plus, my lotion did not curl but had small bubbles , like air bubbles....... then I stopped using it, It is a good preservative but I do not like the look of lotion with it

Last edited:
I found , I think on Susan's site about Phenonip and polysorbate 80 , the late one will or may deactivate Phenonip, Ewax INCI: Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Polysorbate 60
in this case for my sugar scrub I use Lotionpro 165 or BMTS-50 .
How much do you add of EDTA to lotion Carolyn? I am thinking that 0.1% is enough. What do you think? I use distilled water.
When I was using Optiphen plus, my lotion did not curl but had small bubbles , like air bubbles....... then I stopped using it, It is a good preservative but I do not like the look of lotion with it
I also read that about Phenonip and Polysorbate 80.I use 0.1% EDTA when I use it and I use distilled water and heat and hold. Good to know about your Optiphen Plus I was using that for awhile so will go back through my notes. I used Germall Plus in the bubbly batch. Yes mine looked like tiny air bubbles

I use heat and hold even for cold emulsion, I am not brave enough not to do it :) I add my cold emulsifier when everything is ready then water :)

Carolyn - thanks for the heads up on EDTA. I recently had a similar issue with Optiphen Plus vs Optiphen when I made a batch of emulsified body butter. I normally use Optiphen but got a wild hair to use the Plus version thinking it would offer more coverage against the nasties. Anyway, the batch made with Optiphen Plus had a more bubbly, airy texture and I just wasn't happy with it. So far I haven't had that happen with Liquid Germall Plus.

Latest posts

Back