Edible?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabitha

Reaction score
What do you guys use as a preservative for your edible/flavored items like flavored body mists? I sell the kissable body mists from Brambleberry base but figure it would be easier, cheaper & I could offer more varieties of flavors if I made my own. They are mostly water though, so they would need a preservative that was food grade.

OK, I have been poking around a bit it looks like Potassium Sorbate & Sodium Benzoate are edible. Does anyone have experienec w/ either one in an edible recipe?

Jessica Simpson and Brambleberry both use the 2 above mentioned preservs in their edible body items. I am just thinking ou tloud here...

Essential depot says:

Potassium sorbate, the potassium salt of sorbic acid, is a naturally-occurring organic acid. Potassium sorbate is the most widely used food grade preservative and is not a broad spectrum preservative for cosmetic use. It is used as a mold, bacterial and yeast inhibitor and as a fungistatic agent in foods. It is also used in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, tobacco and flavoring products. Our food grade potassium sorbate is made up of white to off-white tiny flakes, dissolves instantly in water and has a melting point of 270C. The FDA regards this product as GRAS (generally regarded as safe). Usage level: 0.5% to 1.0%. For making toiletries: Dissolve potassium sorbate in the water phase at the beginning of your process until well dissolved. INCI: Potassium sorbate.

Back