Eczema Soap Ingredients/Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only more people would believe that most of their skin problems are connected to excess of chemicals and using a lot of synthetic ingredients, they could relieve it sooner

Last edited:
My son suffers from eczema, and I've found that a bar that I make with oatmeal (finely ground), honey, and almond milk (homemade to avoid any of the weird stuff that they put in store bought almond milk) seems to soothe his symptoms. As other posters have mentioned, soap isn't going to "cure" anything, but may help with some people's skin issues. I'd also throw oat milk into the list of possible helpers. I have a calendula and oat milk bar that's been very helpful for my son as well.

If only more people would believe that most of their skin problems are connected to access of chemicals and using a lot of synthetic ingredients, they could relieve it sooner

I agree to a certain extent. I believe most of the skin problems (and most health problems) are related to nutrition. Proper nutrition and "clean" eating promote good skin (and health). We eat far too much processed food and empty calories (says the woman that just ate a big bowl of gelato). I know when I was juicing, I was getting the nutritional benefits from approximately 5 to 7 POUNDS of fruits and vegetables a day; mostly vegetables. My skin looked great and I had more energy than I did as a teenager. However, dealing with all of the fruits & vegetables every day and grocery shopping every two or three days was too much of a hassle for me. I'm back to "instant" food.

I have some eczema on my face and for me only works lard, OO, avocado, almond oil and castor oil in different combos. No coconut oil, no fragrance or EOs. I also have some on my tummy and my hands, but it's fine with normal bar soap as long as there is not much coconut oil. The reality is, at least for me, that it will never go away, but flare ups are rarer, less painful and red, and there is less need for cortisone creams. I've been using same tube for the past 2 years.

But as many already pointed out, we are not all the same. It's up to you to try different combos of ingredients and see what works for each person with eczema. I would probably stay away from plants, herbs, EOs, FOs. Oatmeal should be OK, it was supposed to be soothing. Many commercial gentle bars contain oatmeal.

I agree to a certain extent. I believe most of the skin problems (and most health problems) are related to nutrition. Proper nutrition and "clean" eating promote good skin (and health). We eat far too much processed food and empty calories.
And there are other issues in modern day living like the pollution, increased stress levels, odd working hours, highly sedentary lifestyles etc. But I agree, clean eating does mitigate these ill effects to a certain extent.

So I made this recipe last night:

65% Lard
30% Olive Oil
5% Castor
with
6% SF

Chamomile tea as the water, finely ground oats, chamomile EO and lavender EO. The soap is still too soft to unmold but it smells pretty good and looks really creamy. I hope it turns out ok and helps my friend's son.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

I Love the way this soap came out, had to wait 3 days to unmold b/c of the high lard content but it came out wonderful! I can't wait to see if it helps my friends son.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Babassu oil is non-drying and has similar properties to coconut oil. It helps with itching. I have dry skin and winter would bring on unbearable itching. I began making my own soap and decided to use it. I don't know if it's because I make my own soap or the Babassu, but I don't have any more problems with itching. It's more expensive than coconut oil so I use it in combination with coconut oil in my soap recipes. Bulk Apothecary is charging $8.84 for 15 oz -- it could be cheaper elsewhere???

Latest posts

Back