eczema honey

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allergies are brutal and food allergies and skin allergies are not always connected. There are some things I can eat that do not cause my skin to break out and visa versa. It is trial and error for the most part and /or skin patch testing. One ointment I have having a little success with lately is Eucrisa which is not steroid-based, but very expensive. My doctor was able to get my insurance to pay for most of the cost with a $100.00 copay. Eczema is miserable and can be very dangerous. BTW I have always been able to use Tide detergent while I cannot use many others and I never use fabric softeners, just vinegar rinse. Snuggle being the very worst fabric softener for me.

Has anyone tried this or made something similar? I think I'm going to whip up something for my son and husband. Beeswax, honey, almond oil and sunflower oil. Seems easy enough.
I make a cream with honey, beeswax and propolis (the latter being the ingredient which I love most) all from our bees and combine them with plant oils, glycerine, water an emulsifying wax and preservative - it works a treat for a lot of people with eczema and it takes the itch out of the kin and speeds up the healing - -t is the propolis content which does this - we make the same cream without it and although great for sensitive skin it doesn't have the same dramatic effect - just entering some skincare awards with the propolis creams so fingers crossed

Allergies are brutal and food allergies and skin allergies are not always connected. There are some things I can eat that do not cause my skin to break out and visa versa. It is trial and error for the most part and /or skin patch testing. One ointment I have having a little success with lately is Eucrisa which is not steroid-based, but very expensive. My doctor was able to get my insurance to pay for most of the cost with a $100.00 copay. Eczema is miserable and can be very dangerous. BTW I have always been able to use Tide detergent while I cannot use many others and I never use fabric softeners, just vinegar rinse. Snuggle being the very worst fabric softener for me.
I did say sometimes. :p I agree, trial/error is the only way to truly narrow down causes/treatments, if other means don't work.

It’s a balm that I keep seeing all over my feed. I have all the ingredients so I don’t want to buy it.

https://eczemahoneyco.com/

@shunt, that is my initial thought as well that it will be sticky and oily. How is the honey emulsified?

Their soap has “sorbitol” and “propylene glycol” in the ingredients list. Which makes me wonder what they have in the other products. Wouldn’t they be taking a huge risk selling products with honey without preservatives?

Their soap has “sorbitol” and “propylene glycol” in the ingredients list. Which makes me wonder what they have in the other products. Wouldn’t they be taking a huge risk selling products with honey without preservatives?
They do list the preservative (not the INCI name but whatever). The problem is the missing emulsifying wax (or similar).

@alison derrick 's cream sounds nice. I always worry about preserving creams (or anything) with too much edible stuff in them, but I don't have very much experience and it seems to be doable.

@MGM That was actually quite informative. Thanks for sharing. :)

@SideDoorSoaps Sometimes, allergies/sensitivities are the cause of eczema. My daughter has had eczema since babyhood and one thing we noticed is that low acid orange juice (for drinking), clear and free detergent, and rinsing her clothes twice help. We also avoid tree nuts (my kid is allergic to them) for the most part and have to clean areas a few times if we do have them on hand.

my husband is sensitive to just about every laundry detergent but Era. I wash my son’s in Arm & Hammer sensitive/fragrance free. My son doesn’t eat much so I wonder what he could be sensitive to food wise. Thank you also @MGM for your thoughts.

I just thought about the body wash my son loves. When he takes lots of baths his skin is most irritated. Now I need to check the ingredients on that closer.

my husband is sensitive to just about every laundry detergent but Era. I wash my son’s in Arm & Hammer sensitive/fragrance free. My son doesn’t eat much so I wonder what he could be sensitive to food wise. Thank you also @MGM for your thoughts.

I just thought about the body wash my son loves. When he takes lots of baths his skin is most irritated. Now I need to check the ingredients on that closer.
That's the downside with ezcema. My daughter rarely got to take bubble baths. Definitely look at the ingredients or, push come to shove, limit bath time.

I was going to msg @SideDoorSoaps privately but thought that others might benefit from my story (have told it somewhere on another thread). Long story short: my youngest had eczema almost since birth and I started considering food eliminations by year 2. When visiting my parents and using their Tide and not my homemade laundry detergent with borax, his eczema cleared. He is sensitive to borax! Years later when I started using Oxyclean to soak underwear, he started getting eczema again on his groin only and the nurse practitioner even thought it might be psoriasis. My wife reminded me about the borax thing and when I stopped soaking his underwear in Oxyclean, the eczema cleared up 100%. YMMV, but it was CRYSTAL CLEAR in his case. No one else in the family is in the least bit sensitive.
I use cold power (a commercial clothes detergent) which seems to have less additives than others but even with that I have to double rinse (which is easy on a long wash cycle) his clothes as my DH has eczema. If I don’t double rinse he starts to get itchy as soon as he starts to get hot (and I guess sweaty). He can never wear clothes twice and only wears cotton or linen next to his skin.

My son had to get special permission - with a note from the dermatologist - to wear cotton socks to school - not the regulation polyester ones - and could only wear leather shoes. He used to have baths with colloidal oatmeal instead of soap. That was before I started to make castile for him and DH.

My other 2 boys have no skin problems at all.

Eczema is such a very difficult skin problem to live with.

Back