eczema honey

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't see a full ingredient list (I can't tell if there are accordions that my browser doesn't like, or if their website just doesn't work properly). I see "featured" ingredients, but I doubt that's the whole list....
I wonder if whipping like crazy would keep the honey more emulsified. I have some sticky, separate lip balms, but that was just stirring...maybe whipping helps?

ETA: I would also think that even if you have the ingredients, proportions are likely quite important in this type of product. But, you could definitely experiment! In fact, work on it and let us know how it turns out :p

I simply think they are not listing the full ingredient list on their site.

Also, I would not expect any miracles from such a product, and in my opinion, their advertising pushing them over cosmetic advertising to medical. There is no magic bullet for eczema since everyone is different.
I agree with this. I've made a cream with honey in the past (it was one of the ingredients, not specifically meant for eczema) and it didn't help at all. Nor did a charcoal balm, nor did shea butter.... you get the picture.

Just a thought, though... if the honey is melted into the liquid used in the cream, wouldn't that work?

I agree with this. I've made a cream with honey in the past (it was one of the ingredients, not specifically meant for eczema) and it didn't help at all. Nor did a charcoal balm, nor did shea butter.... you get the picture.

Just a thought, though... if the honey is melted into the liquid used in the cream, wouldn't that work?
For a lotion, yes, but not a balm. Honey is water soluble, not oil soluble, and will separate if put in an anhydrous balm, no matter how much it is whipped initially. Additionally, I feel like depending on how much honey is used in either application, it will lose most benefit and become bug food.

I think I found the ingredients. So it seems like a lotion but I’m still wondering about emulsifying. I’m gonna attempt something and will let ya know! I have so much beeswax and honey and have a great local supply for it.

https://eczemahoneyco.com/pages/ingredients

their advertising and claims and the reviews of their products does make me wonder! They do have a disclaimer about their products not being approved by the FDA but I thought that disclaimer was for supplements, not cosmetics.

Attachments

• D67DEF5F-7ACD-4782-9489-F0424D16E7EA.png
    D67DEF5F-7ACD-4782-9489-F0424D16E7EA.png
    608.4 KB · Views: 18
I think I found the ingredients. So it seems like a lotion but I’m still wondering about emulsifying. I’m gonna attempt something and will let ya know! I have so much beeswax and honey and have a great local supply for it.

https://eczemahoneyco.com/pages/ingredients

their advertising and claims and the reviews of their products does make me wonder! They do have a disclaimer about their products not being approved by the FDA but I thought that disclaimer was for supplements, not cosmetics.
While they make the disclaimer above, they also claim to have had a Human repeated insult patch test (HRIPT) conducted. Somehow I am betting they have not spent the money on such testing.

Anyone with eczema needs to keep in mind, you may not be allergic to something today but you may be allergic to it tomorrow.

A lot of their products seem to contain both water- and oil-soluble ingredients (like aloe juice with all kinds of oils). Which means that they either are not listing the emulsifier/solubilizer, or these are just unstable... In my experience no matter how much you whip or blend, it will eventually separate. In either case, I'm pretty skeptical....
I hope you can come up with something that works though.

These ingredients lists are certainly not correct with many mistakes. For example - Optiphen is not the correct way to list this preservative. It should be listed as Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol.

As others have mentioned they seem to have missed the emulsifiers completely. It is possible that beeswax in combination with borax is being used as an emulsifier.

A lot of their products seem to contain both water- and oil-soluble ingredients (like aloe juice with all kinds of oils). Which means that they either are not listing the emulsifier/solubilizer, or these are just unstable... In my experience no matter how much you whip or blend, it will eventually separate. In either case, I'm pretty skeptical....
I hope you can come up with something that works though.

yeah, I was thinking unstable or omitting, both of which I am not happy to support in a cosmetic making unsusbstantiated drug claims.

And as for the ingredients listing, I am skeptical if that is everything as well. I’m imagining that I’ll be making more of a creamy balm with the oils and beeswax and water and honey to to mix together. I have some Soft and Silky ewax for WSP that is supposed to help give a whip texture.

I often wonder if I should use anything on my son’s skin but when he gets itchy, I feel so terrible. My husband uses argan oil and he loves it. My little one not so much, and it’s so expensive!

This will be my attempt this weekend (along with my wool wash) wish me luck!

@SideDoorSoaps has your sone been allergy tested for common food allergies?
He hasn’t yet but he doesn’t really eat much either. It’s something we are going to bring up at his next checkup because I have some interesting food allergies, however I don’t have any skin issues. My husband did and he is allergic to cows milk protein, which I find interesting.

I hate using the steroid cream on my son unless it is dire so I was hoping for something else, even though my hopes were a bit dashed when I looked this product up.

I was going to msg @SideDoorSoaps privately but thought that others might benefit from my story (have told it somewhere on another thread). Long story short: my youngest had eczema almost since birth and I started considering food eliminations by year 2. When visiting my parents and using their Tide and not my homemade laundry detergent with borax, his eczema cleared. He is sensitive to borax! Years later when I started using Oxyclean to soak underwear, he started getting eczema again on his groin only and the nurse practitioner even thought it might be psoriasis. My wife reminded me about the borax thing and when I stopped soaking his underwear in Oxyclean, the eczema cleared up 100%. YMMV, but it was CRYSTAL CLEAR in his case. No one else in the family is in the least bit sensitive.

@MGM That was actually quite informative. Thanks for sharing. :)

@SideDoorSoaps Sometimes, allergies/sensitivities are the cause of eczema. My daughter has had eczema since babyhood and one thing we noticed is that low acid orange juice (for drinking), clear and free detergent, and rinsing her clothes twice help. We also avoid tree nuts (my kid is allergic to them) for the most part and have to clean areas a few times if we do have them on hand.

Latest posts

Back