Ecstatic over bath bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krystalbee

Reaction score
After trying about 100 different bath bomb recipes, I have finally had success in making bath bombs. In the past, I have struggled with unmolding, cracking, swelling, and warty bits :sick:. I modified a recipe out of Holly Port's book Make it Fizz and I didn't have any problems. It was an absolute blast to make these. Next time I try these I will experiment more with color. The ones you see below are a pale pink and lavender, I couldn't for the life of me capture the true colors. Please don't take this post as bragging, I just want to share my success with people who understand :smile:

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Ah, they look great - well done! I'd love to make my own instead of spending silly amounts on LUSH ones, but my attempt was a crumbly fail. :(

They look absolutely gorgeous, so smooth. they are definitely worth bragging about!

I've struggled with bath bombs in the past too. My first attempt was hilarious. I added too much water and this nice round ball Quadrupled in size. I also added too much colour. (After misreading the recipe!). My husband decided to try it anyway and turned a glorious shade of green. I took one look and couldn't stop the giggles! Luckily he laughed too and it washed off easily!

Those look like a perfect representation of whatever they might be. Just beautiful. I have never made bath bombs although I probably have everything I need to make a batch. Pardon my ignorance but why do people use bath bombs? What exactly do they contribute to the experience?
I didn't have a bath tub while growing up, like 99% of Indian kids, even though I have one now I never thought of a bath. It's always been showers.
I also don't understand bath melts/ teas/truffles and whatever else there might be. I could use some education I guess :).

Those look great. I've yet to make my first ones; but I was reading about them yesterday and a couple of people who were having problems said that after adding in once case, 25% kaolin and I think another person said they added 50% kaolin. I have the metal mold and ingredients on hand just have to find a recipe and
time and energy to try my hand at them.

Those look like a perfect representation of whatever they might be. Just beautiful. I have never made bath bombs although I probably have everything I need to make a batch. Pardon my ignorance but why do people use bath bombs? What exactly do they contribute to the experience?
I didn't have a bath tub while growing up, like 99% of Indian kids, even though I have one now I never thought of a bath. It's always been showers.
I also don't understand bath melts/ teas/truffles and whatever else there might be. I could use some education I guess :).

My family loves bath bombs (including DH). They add fun (bubbles/colored water), scent and possibly skin loving goodies to the water.

I put oils in mine since I live in a dry climate that is harsh on the skin. I'll sometimes add salts, oatmeal, or clays.

This is my understanding of bath goody differences...

Bath Bombs fizz through a combination of baking soda and citric acid. They can have all sorts of things added in and are aimed at all ages. Kids love them! DH loves them!

Bath Truffles are basically bath bombs with a lot more oil and often clay added in. They might have fizzing, but it's secondary to the main purpose of making a soothing bath experience. Aimed at adults.

Bath Melts are mainly oils. Aimed at adults for incorporating oils into the bath.

Bath Teas are loose botanicals and scented clays that brew within a tea bag or tea ball in the tub. Aimed at adults.

I think I have those right or at least that's how I think of them...

My first attempt was hilarious. I added too much water and this nice round ball Quadrupled in size. I also added too much colour. (After misreading the recipe!). My husband decided to try it anyway and turned a glorious shade of green. I took one look and couldn't stop the giggles! Luckily he laughed too and it washed off easily!

Oh my goodness that would have been very funny. I have had my water change colors as well, I've yet to dye my bottom any color but knock on wood ;)

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the awesome feedback. I should have joined this forum sooner! Its been a great confidence booster!

Back