Eco-Packing for Soap Shipments

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At live events, my soap is sold naked or in minimal packaging. I use twine to tie a card with the ingredients & other info to the naked soap. Even my packaged soap is barely wrapped. I put a (recycled-paper) cigar label on some bars. But I want something different to ship orders (semi-naked soap in a box isn’t appealing). How can I protect them in transit & keep my eco-conscious aesthetic? I avoid shrink/ bubble wrap, plastic & styrofoam. I may individually wrap bars in butcher paper with a cigar label over it. Does anyone do that or know if it would be secure enough? Any eco-friendly box fillers besides crinkle paper? I want something to keep the soap from rolling around but I don’t love the look of crinkle paper. Are box fillers even needed with soap?

I'm just a hobbyist here. If I mail several different types of soaps, I like to wrap them in If You Care brand paper sandwich bags. I always have a stack of newspapers around for filler. And I will re-use plastic wrap and styrofoam fillers that other people have sent me -- I won't buy that stuff but I figure re-using it is better than dumping it in the landfill.

Like Zing, we save and reuse what has come into the house, including aAmazon padded mailers (just cut off the top and the fold the top edge over to close it), and paper shreds from our shredder. The shreds actually look decent if you mix them up together - kind of like confetti soap. But if the shredded paper esthetic doesn't match your branding, I have seen others use pieces of cardboard to wedge their soap into the mailing container so that it doesn't shift around. I do think it is important to keep it from shifting too much, or the soap will get bunged up during travel.

Have you looked into any of the paper "insulation" packaging, used by Whole Foods and others for food delivery? They used to send the frozen items in insulated bags made of aluminum and bubble wrap; now it is all thin layers of compostable brown paper. If you can find something similar, it is very cushioning and quite attractive looking. I can see if we have some lying around if you'd like a pic.

Edit: there are quite a few YT videos of folks using coffee filters to wrap soap.

I'm just a hobbyist here. If I mail several different types of soaps, I like to wrap them in If You Care brand paper sandwich bags. I always have a stack of newspapers around for filler. And I will re-use plastic wrap and styrofoam fillers that other people have sent me -- I won't buy that stuff but I figure re-using it is better than dumping it in the landfill.

I like the brown bag idea. I would totally reuse the plastic and styrofoam fillers that come with most deliveries but it goes against my branding. My husband ends up re-using it all anyway to ship the comic books he sells.

Like Zing, we save and reuse what has come into the house, including aAmazon padded mailers (just cut off the top and the fold the top edge over to close it), and paper shreds from our shredder. The shreds actually look decent if you mix them up together - kind of like confetti soap. But if the shredded paper esthetic doesn't match your branding, I have seen others use pieces of cardboard to wedge their soap into the mailing container so that it doesn't shift around. I do think it is important to keep it from shifting too much, or the soap will get bunged up during travel.

Have you looked into any of the paper "insulation" packaging, used by Whole Foods and others for food delivery? They used to send the frozen items in insulated bags made of aluminum and bubble wrap; now it is all thin layers of compostable brown paper. If you can find something similar, it is very cushioning and quite attractive looking. I can see if we have some lying around if you'd like a pic.

Edit: there are quite a few YT videos of folks using coffee filters to wrap soap.

We get so much plastic and bubble wrap from deliveries- it’s a shame I can’t use it to send my soaps but it’s contrary to my brand. If I could, I’d never have to pay for packing material. (My hubby reuses them all anyway) Shredded paper matches aesthetically & I’d use it if all else fails. I think the cardboard wedge idea may be a perfect solution.
I remember seeing the insulated aluminum bags WF uses to send frozen food but I don’t think I’ve seen the brown paper they use now. If you’re able to get a picture of it, I’d love to see it.
I would’ve never throught of using coffee filters to wrap soap but now I’m off to YT to check it out. Thanks!

Hi, I've been MIA (missing in action) for a while. I have a packaging question. My college roommate asked me to do 20 lotion bars for a party. she lived in Indiana and I'm in New Jersey (USA). I bought plastic boxes 5 x 3.5 (inches). They are taller than the lotion bars. I've made a display of the bars inside the plastic box, but I'm concerned about sending it through the mail. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to anchor the bars, so they aren't jostled during transportation? I thought of putting a toothpick-size dowel threw the bar and and decorating it with a flag that contains the ingredients.

I'm concerned about sending it through the mail. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to anchor the bars, so they aren't jostled during transportation?
Hi @ShirleyHailstock Nice to see you back! As for your packaging...

How about a pic.gif

Attachments

• Amazon box.jpg
    Amazon box.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 0
  • plastic box.jpg
    plastic box.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 0
Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to anchor the bars, so they aren't jostled during transportation?
Thanks for the picture. At first glance, the boxes are the problem. They are too big and overwhelm the lotion bar -- which looks like my favorite Ferrero Rocher chocolates! Cute!
https://www.target.com/p/ferrero-ro..._6GiB2txprjA8kc_DKoaAix7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.dsI would save the boxes you have for another project and find a smaller, perhaps round container better suited to the size of the lotion bar. Less jostling with little room to spare on all sides.

ETA: Eco Packaging for Lotion Bars

Last edited:
Thanks for the picture. At first glance, the boxes are the problem. They are too big and overwhelm the lotion bar -- which looks like my favorite Ferrero Rocher chocolates! Cute!
https://www.target.com/p/ferrero-ro..._6GiB2txprjA8kc_DKoaAix7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.dsI would save the boxes you have for another project and find a smaller, perhaps round container better suited to the size of the lotion bar. Less jostling with little room to spare on all sides.

ETA: Eco Packaging for Lotion Bars
Thanks. The bars are larger than the ferro candy. I only used that to show the lotion bar could be displayed. Thanks for your help.

I only used that to show the lotion bar could be displayed.
Pretty display but not practical, i.e., in design, "form follows function." Meaning, "packaging" should fit the function of the lotion bar -- see link above. That's how lotion bars are typically packaged... easy to carry in a purse, keep in a desk drawer at the office, sitting on a shelf or counter and, most importantly, easy to mail. :thumbs: ;)

Pretty display but not practical, i.e., in design, "form follows function." Meaning, "packaging" should fit the function of the lotion bar -- see link above. That's how lotion bars are typically packaged... easy to carry in a purse, keep in a desk drawer at the office, sitting on a shelf or counter and, most importantly, easy to mail. :thumbs: ;)
Thanks. I did look at it. I have time to retool.

Hi, I've been MIA (missing in action) for a while. I have a packaging question. My college roommate asked me to do 20 lotion bars for a party. she lived in Indiana and I'm in New Jersey (USA). I bought plastic boxes 5 x 3.5 (inches). They are taller than the lotion bars. I've made a display of the bars inside the plastic box, but I'm concerned about sending it through the mail. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to anchor the bars, so they aren't jostled during transportation? I thought of putting a toothpick-size dowel threw the bar and and decorating it with a flag that contains the ingredients.
I use tins for my lotion bars. I mostly use the standard plain metal ones, but I also have some in assorted colors. I was using small coffee filters and trimming them, but then I saw someone use cup cake papers and...mind blown.

Latest posts

Back