Eco friendly Alternative wrapping to shrink wrap for M&P

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly Mop

Reaction score
ive been using shrink wrap for several years for my M&P soap. It is has always been very successful, but I would like to use a more eco-friendLy, biodegradable or recycleable wrap. Has anyone any suggestions? I've seen references to polyolefin film but this only seems to be available in industrial quantities. Thanks!

Cellophane is plant based. You will have to use tape, stickers, glue or an adhesive to seal. I always use cellophane for food due to allergies. Good luck with blessings!

Thank you Audrey. Yes I used to use cellophane but found shrinkwrap better for several reasons. I may have to revisit this decision though! . I know 'cellophane' can also be a cover-all term and can be used to describe some PVC based films, which I found out after some hunting! Do you have a supplier for plant based cellophane please? Thanks!

National Shrink Wrap sells Biolefin, which is biodegradable and decomposes 90% faster than polyolefin. But the roll they sell is 500' and that would last me longer than I expect to live. If you sell a lot of soap, the price doesn't seem to horrendous to me, but I don't sell, so I am not sure how this would compare to what you do now. $82.95 per roll at 14" wide or 98.95 for 18". If you are a member of HCSG, you can get a 10% discount according to the HCSG site, but I can't see the code you are supposed to enter at checkout. Maybe my non-paid membership does not allow me to see the codes. I don't know. Either that, or it's just a glitch.

Anyway, that's the only high-end biodegradable shrink wrap I have found. Others also sell the National Shrink Wrap System, but I didn't find one that sells smaller quantities of the actual Biolefin film itself for that price or lower.

See also: https://www.soapguild.org/how-to/marketing-promotion/selecting-shrink-wrap-film.php

thank you Earlen, that's a really good and informative link to all the available shrink wraps. I think biolefin is probably the way forward but it does t seem readily available here In the uk. I'll keep looking though.

thank you Shunt2011, great idea, I've just had a quick look and can't see any, but I'll keep looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I think eco friendly shrink wrap is beyond my budget here in the UK, so I've just ordered a roll of 'proper' cellophane which will do nicely. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back