Ebru Technique Soap Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if we do our own little challenges here? I would love for us to be able to motivate each other. No prizes but, we could vote anonymously through survey monkey. Since we are all on the forum, that makes me think it might be a little better. Just shooting ideas I guess. I'm kinda disappointed with this one too... :(

Saponista was thinking the same thing (she went to bed- different time zone). I'm all for it. One technique, everyone tries to do it well, we help each other if someone is having difficulty with it and/or people toss out their tips, no prizes. Run through techniques/looks/whatever every few weeks or once a month. I personally would like to have more liberty to give and get critiques, which can be a touchy subject on here, I know. Not feedback like "that's ugly" but more like that a different color might look better in place of X for a combo, or try squiggly lines instead of straight or that a line seems too stiff and needs better flow. Constructive things that would help me be a better soaper but that I might not see or know how to achieve.

Oh no, just as I had bitten the bullet on entering the next one. I totally understand how you all would be frustrated with the randomness of the rules, though, that would be very hard for me to accept as well. People put so much effort, time - and expense, really, when you count up the costs of four or five batches, sometimes - and then it seems like the rules sort of get smudgy at the end. Maybe it will get sorted out after this, this seems to to be the culmination of something that has been going on for a while. I think all of did amazing jobs, though, it was really great to be a bystander of your work.

Im totally for the constructive criticism thing. I think in soap its all about getting better for me. Plus, what you think of, I may not have even fathomed. I say we go for it. I do think the timeline for the challenges is good so maybe we can stick to that to give us something to start with?

Once a month is good, I think. If someone has to take a pass because of other obligations, it's not too long before another comes up. It's enough time to try and then do other things, people are less likely to feel overwhelmed with new things to try than is they were more frequent. In terms of which technique, we could toss out ideas, using the same list thing we do for swaps, over 1-2 days then do a quick survey and go with #1 choice or round robin who picks what we try or someone can be in charge of getting ideas and keeping the list.

I like the idea of making it like a swap where ideas are tossed around. I wanted to do a Christmas in July swap since I could finally participate in one (can't start one yet of course, not that I feel ready to) but maybe we could make it a challange instead. For example make a Christmas soap with beachy influences or something? I dunno. Lol.

I have an idea for one. Does anyone mind if I go first? I can set this one and at the same time, we can send around a list of people's ideas for the next time.

I'm sorry that there was some frustration for all of you with the voting on the Ebru challenge. I haven't seen the results yet, but from the entries that I could match up to members of this forum I just want to say I think you all did a fabulous job. There were some really beautiful entries, and I was so impressed with the artistry.

That said, if you do a challenge here I might give it a try. I'm having a problem uploading photos, so I'm not sure. I'm not too good with the ideas, and pretty technique challenged, so it might be a good way to practice some things I've been reluctant to try.

I think an SMF challenge is a great idea, newbie & galaxy! I'd totally be in on it. The constructive criticism would be very helpful for all trying out a new technique or improving on one. Personally, the prizes don't matter as much as the critiques from peers. Count me in!

I have something in mind that I think would be a good lead-in and not very judgy for a first month, feeling a bit put off by recent judging, but it could still be a lot of fun with a lot of individual input and a lot to learn. I am putting it together and will post it in a few days. I think we could have a lot of fun with this!

PS. This was not my idea originally. Saponista mentioned it to me, Galaxy mentioned it independently as well.

Newbie and I were discussing setting up the challenge before I had to go to bed last night, it was 1am! We will issue a post as soon as we have decided what exactly we are going to do and hope you will all join in with us, perhaps we can start on the first of the month each month? I felt with the challenges that some people were really struggling with the techniques and their entries showed that they have never quite managed to nail it. I want everyone to nail it and be proud of their results so I think a challenge where everyone sees the evolution of our tries and attempts and critiques them or advises how to fix something that has gone wrong is a much better way of making sure everyone learns something from the process and ends up with a soap they are proud of. My original idea was to not have a winner so everyone would feel free to post up all their entries and tries without fear of someone copying their idea to win, but if the majority wish it to be a competition that we vote on then we can make it that way instead. What is the general feeling on this?

I think it would be sort of cool to have categories for challenges. If one is to be organized here then maybe these can be considered:
  1. Best first time competitor (let's get new blood!)
  2. Crowd Favorite (simple pick your favorite)
  3. Technical Mastery (all those things you guys are talking about like "it's not really a ..." could be covered here)
  4. Most unique ingredients
  5. Best commercial entry
  6. Best amateur entry
  7. Best of Show
... or something like that.

I'm fine either way. I'm still so far from being good at design/technique that I just want to learn, so the idea of constructive critique on progressive rounds is great. For those who are better and like the feeling of challenge in having a specific goal, winners/categories are fine with me too. Saponista and Newbie, thanks for making the effort to try and put this together!

Latest posts

Back