Ebay suspension no reason given

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those so-called 'algorithms' are the reason I don't post much on FB. I have two warnings for supposedly "violating community standards". If anyone had actually read the posts, they would have seen that I didn't, and while I can understand that there are probably millions of posts that get flagged and it's easier to write a script that handles the issue, if someone takes the time to contact you, then you should get off your lazy butt and do something about it. But then again, FB isn't making any money off of me so what do they care.
I got a warning for posting a link to a lye company on a soap group on fb. No idea why, I remember when lye was hard to get because people were using it to make meth, maybe that’s why?
Another person got flagged for bullying for responding to a question someone asked about what lard was, and he just wrote “pig fat.” That one is at least understandable!

I got a warning for posting a link to a lye company on a soap group on fb. No idea why, I remember when lye was hard to get because people were using it to make meth, maybe that’s why?

Speaking of making meth...there was a story on the news last night that because of the rash of 'homemade bombs'...we can expect those who purchase their Sodium Hydroxide (aka 'drain cleaner' from hardware stores to start getting scrutinized by the FBI and Homeland Security. We can expect that it is going to be locked up behind the counter or a cage before too long and you'll be required to show ID.

And I have no doubt that this scrutiny will expand to those who purchase Essential Depot Sodium Hydroxide or other brands from Amazon and then on to regular soap suppliers. I usually buy 8lb containers of Lye, but just checked in purchasing 50lbs bags once I figure out how to proper storage solutions. That may seem over-reactive, but being proactive has served me well over the years. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. And knowing the government, it would not be unreasonable to assume that as scrutiny increases, so will the cost.

Speaking of making meth...there was a story on the news last night that because of the rash of 'homemade bombs'...we can expect those who purchase their Sodium Hydroxide (aka 'drain cleaner' from hardware stores to start getting scrutinized by the FBI and Homeland Security. We can expect that it is going to be locked up behind the counter or a cage before too long and you'll be required to show ID.

And I have no doubt that this scrutiny will expand to those who purchase Essential Depot Sodium Hydroxide or other brands from Amazon and then on to regular soap suppliers. I usually buy 8lb containers of Lye, but just checked in purchasing 50lbs bags once I figure out how to proper storage solutions. That may seem over-reactive, but being proactive has served me well over the years. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. And knowing the government, it would not be unreasonable to assume that as scrutiny increases, so will the cost.

Is there anything about "the right to bear lye" in your constitution. 🤣 So Sorry, the snarkyness just came out there.

They are very difficult to talk to. I found a number online and basically had to lie my way through the automated answers to get to talk to some one who was very nice but couldn’t give me any more information.
I have had to deal with issues on Ebay in the past and usually had not too difficult of a time. Biggest problem is the language gap as most of their phone people are based in the Phillipines. At least for me that is.

1. Due to the language problems, if there is a misunderstanding then ask to speak to a supervisor. DON'T let the person you're talking to try to say otherwise. Be firm but polite and keep requesting a supervisor. Ebay's "Online Chat" is absolutely horrible... never use that venue to deal with issues.

2. Escalate the issue further up the chain, if possible. Something happened somewhere that's for sure.
3. How many transactions had you done on Ebay? To be honest, the higher the transaction count (whether buyer or seller) the easier it is to get issues resolved.
4. Some sellers, very few in fact, are complete tools and will do anything to ruin a buyer's standing or reputation, all because of an issue that occurred.
5. Persistence is the key. Myself, being a former purchasing agent, would put that "hat" on when dealing with issues whether it's Ebay, PayPal, Amazon, etc.

Here is the number I use to contact Ebay Customer Service: 866-540-3229

DON'T GIVE UP! There are layers of the proverbial onion one must peel away in order to the answer.

What I find most surprising is that most articles I have found about it, state that it happens mostly to Ebay sellers, not so many to buyers. And that ebay usually emails you to notify you in advance, or warn you. The fact that this took you by surprise tells me they didn't email you, so I suspect something really weird has happened.
She is absolutely correct!
There is something hinky going on here and it needs to be resolved.

I have had to deal with issues on Ebay in the past and usually had not too difficult of a time. Biggest problem is the language gap as most of their phone people are based in the Phillipines. At least for me that is.

1. Due to the language problems, if there is a misunderstanding then ask to speak to a supervisor. DON'T let the person you're talking to try to say otherwise. Be firm but polite and keep requesting a supervisor. Ebay's "Online Chat" is absolutely horrible... never use that venue to deal with issues.

2. Escalate the issue further up the chain, if possible. Something happened somewhere that's for sure.
3. How many transactions had you done on Ebay? To be honest, the higher the transaction count (whether buyer or seller) the easier it is to get issues resolved.
4. Some sellers, very few in fact, are complete tools and will do anything to ruin a buyer's standing or reputation, all because of an issue that occurred.
5. Persistence is the key. Myself, being a former purchasing agent, would put that "hat" on when dealing with issues whether it's Ebay, PayPal, Amazon, etc.

Here is the number I use to contact Ebay Customer Service: 866-540-3229

DON'T GIVE UP! There are layers of the proverbial onion one must peel away in order to the answer.

She is absolutely correct!
There is something hinky going on here and it needs to be resolved.
Thank you! This all SO helpful. The online chat people have all hung up on me. I swear I was being courteous.
How do you get through to a human using that number? I had to lie which made me feel like I would be even more in the doghouse with them. I think this vendor must have dragged me down which is unfortunate.

How do you get through to a human using that number?
Keep repeating endlessly.... until you get connected to a true flesh & blood bipedal mammalian homo sapien... CUSTOMER SERVICE, long pause CUSTOMER SERVICE, CUSTOMER SERVICE. That's after each "automated response" from those cotton pickin' automated phone systems things. (Kind of like the HAL9000 computer in 2001 - A SPACE ODYSSEY.)

It takes patience, resolve, a firm steady voice and perhaps a nice dollop of Bailey's Irish Cream in your coffee whilst doing this!

I am curious? You had to lie... as in what way? You shouldn't have to do that. Of course, a little lie now and then never hurts.

I had to lie which made me feel like I would be even more in the doghouse with them.

What's the worst they can do to you...suspended your account? Oh, they already did. :)

FYI - If it makes you feel better about lying in order to talk to someone who can actually help you, PayPal...which is owned by eBay, is looking at a class-action lawsuit for unlawful business practices.

Keep repeating endlessly.... until you get connected to a true flesh & blood bipedal mammalian homo sapien... CUSTOMER SERVICE, long pause CUSTOMER SERVICE, CUSTOMER SERVICE. That's after each "automated response" from those cotton pickin' automated phone systems things. (Kind of like the HAL9000 computer in 2001 - A SPACE ODYSSEY.)

It takes patience, resolve, a firm steady voice and perhaps a nice dollop of Bailey's Irish Cream in your coffee whilst doing this!

I am curious? You had to lie... as in what way? You shouldn't have to do that. Of course, a little lie now and then never hurts.
i think you have to say you are calling about fraud in order to even be making the call, I had looked at this along with other sites eBay Customer Service Phone Number (866) 961-9253, Email, Address
While you are waiting the recording says repeatedly if you’re calling about something else go to their online chat.
I have had three online chats and one phone call. The phone call was on a weekend - I did ask if I could speak to a supervisor, but the person on the line said no, but I don’t think anyone in management works on weekends. He was a little bit hard for me to understand.
The online chats get me nowhere. They start out by saying oh how terrible, then there is a long pause, then they come back and say I pose too big of a risk, they can’t tell me what I did, they are sure I am disappointed but the decision is final, blah blah blah, then they hang up. 😞

When I was purchasing 50 lb bags of lye from a local chemical company I had to have my resale license on file and show my driver's license. They also logged my car license plate and I had to transport it in an enclosed trunk. So I would not even be able to purchase from them now that I sold that particular car and only have Kia Soul's.

Okay - just tried again. The phone number leads me into an automated system that goes in circles until it hangs up on me. The chat sends me to the account suspension purgatory where the representative tells me that they can’t tell me anything about why I am suspended because it will help me avoid detection while violating their policies. There is no call back option available.

Looking back at my emails I did make a mistake - when I wanted to return items I canceled the bid, which was stupidly not the right way, and then realized it and initiated a return. So maybe this misstep was what got me kicked out. This was all in the matter of a day. I corrected what I did wrong, returned the items, was credited, and received a good review. Maybe this was it, but it was my ineptitude, not malice. They won’t even tell me though. I’m so mad that I bought the EOs from this company. Slow service and dubious product. 😑

If you were to try again, perhaps if you tell the representative that kind of upfront, that you think perhaps you've made a mistake and want to rectify it.... (rather than get to where they do the passive-aggressive thing of not telling you what you did wrong)... they might relent?

Or maybe just write them off as not worth the struggle. I'd be sick of it. It's how I feel about PayPal and I haven't been banned, I just hate dealing with them so I don't.

If you were to try again, perhaps if you tell the representative that kind of upfront, that you think perhaps you've made a mistake and want to rectify it.... (rather than get to where they do the passive-aggressive thing of not telling you what you did wrong)... they might relent?

Or maybe just write them off as not worth the struggle. I'd be sick of it. It's how I feel about PayPal and I haven't been banned, I just hate dealing with them so I don't.
Yeah I think that’s what I need to do - it’s just all so insane. It gets my blood pressure up. It bothers me to feel like a criminal without being able to reason with anyone. Oh well.

Okay - just tried again. The phone number leads me into an automated system that goes in circles until it hangs up on me. The chat sends me to the account suspension purgatory where the representative tells me that they can’t tell me anything about why I am suspended because it will help me avoid detection while violating their policies. There is no call back option available.

Looking back at my emails I did make a mistake - when I wanted to return items I canceled the bid, which was stupidly not the right way, and then realized it and initiated a return. So maybe this misstep was what got me kicked out. This was all in the matter of a day. I corrected what I did wrong, returned the items, was credited, and received a good review. Maybe this was it, but it was my ineptitude, not malice. They won’t even tell me though. I’m so mad that I bought the EOs from this company. Slow service and dubious product. 😑

Try "1-866-961-9253". I just tried it. it says it's ebay

Try "1-866-961-9253". I just tried it. it says it's ebay
Yes - I tried that too. I couldn’t get through the automated system, I answered a few questions and eventually they say they don’t use that number any longer and the systems hangs up. I think the only way you can talk to them is to navigate through their help page (not easy, it’s hidden) and get to a point where you can choose the online chat or ask for a callback. The callback is supposed to be open starting at 5:00 am Eastern but was not available when I tried yesterday. Maybe they have staffing issues. I was paranoid that I was flagged for no callback but the online chat person I talked with tried it too and found the same thing.
I’ve put too much energy into this debacle. I should just let it go, I realize that there are people in the world with much bigger injustices than ebay being mean to them. Still upsets me though.

I’ve put too much energy into this debacle. I should just let it go,

Sometimes it's just the principal of the matter.

Remember when television signals went from analog to digital and the government gave a free converter box (via coupon) to each household? We didn't need it for the television in the living room since we had a cable box, but we did for the television in the bedroom. About year later, I took over paying the bills and notice a small $3.00 charge on our cable bill. I went back through the bills and noticed it showed up around the time we got our box. So I called to find out what it was. Turns out the cable company was charging us for the converter box, they said it was because we got the box from them and needed to pay. I said, "Yes, we did get the box from you. We gave you our coupon which you would have turned over to the government so you could be reimbursed because you're not in the business of losing money. Now if you didn't turn in the coupon, then you need to return it to me along with a bill for the box so I can give it to the government for reimbursement. Or you can simply remove the charge and issue a credit or a check for the previous charges and I won't contact the feds."

Which is what happened...sort of. I didn't contact the feds, I contacted our local 'investigative reporter' and it cost the cable company hundreds of thousands of dollars...three dollars at a time.

Sometimes it's just the principal of the matter.

Remember when television signals went from analog to digital and the government gave a free converter box (via coupon) to each household? We didn't need it for the television in the living room since we had a cable box, but we did for the television in the bedroom. About year later, I took over paying the bills and notice a small $3.00 charge on our cable bill. I went back through the bills and noticed it showed up around the time we got our box. So I called to find out what it was. Turns out the cable company was charging us for the converter box, they said it was because we got the box from them and needed to pay. I said, "Yes, we did get the box from you. We gave you our coupon which you would have turned over to the government so you could be reimbursed because you're not in the business of losing money. Now if you didn't turn in the coupon, then you need to return it to me along with a bill for the box so I can give it to the government for reimbursement. Or you can simply remove the charge and issue a credit or a check for the previous charges and I won't contact the feds."

Which is what happened...sort of. I didn't contact the feds, I contacted our local 'investigative reporter' and it cost the cable company hundreds of thousands of dollars...three dollars at a time.
That’s a good result - good for you - I don’t think that’s going to happen for me. eBay can kick out whoever they feel like kicking out. I made a mistake and there’s no way to fix it.

Yes - I tried that too. I couldn’t get through the automated system, I answered a few questions and eventually they say they don’t use that number any longer and the systems hangs up. I think the only way you can talk to them is to navigate through their help page (not easy, it’s hidden) and get to a point where you can choose the online chat or ask for a callback. The callback is supposed to be open starting at 5:00 am Eastern but was not available when I tried yesterday. Maybe they have staffing issues. I was paranoid that I was flagged for no callback but the online chat person I talked with tried it too and found the same thing.
I’ve put too much energy into this debacle. I should just let it go, I realize that there are people in the world with much bigger injustices than ebay being mean to them. Still upsets me though.
Have you tried "get human. com"? I've used that site before for sites like Virgin Mobile (that was years ago) and I found it helpful. It's actually a legitimate site.

Edit- This Article is a nice resource. towards the bottom, it has suggestions as to what to do, since ebay is clearly wrong here. No wonder I rarely use them.

Last edited:
Have you tried "get human. com"? I've used that site before for sites like Virgin Mobile (that was years ago) and I found it helpful. It's actually a legitimate site.

Edit- This Article is a nice resource. towards the bottom, it has suggestions as to what to do, since ebay is clearly wrong here. No wonder I rarely use them.
Thank you for this! It does provide helpful direction. If I get brave I’ll try again. Each encounter with them leaves me feeling unsettled and frustrated.

Thank you for this! It does provide helpful direction. If I get brave I’ll try again. Each encounter with them leaves me feeling unsettled and frustrated.
I've been there there too so I totally know what you're talking about. But Ebay isn't Instagram (I got blocked on an account I NEVER USED) and this concerns a vendor that has wronged you. Ebay's course of actions can be looked upon as a form abuse and has been. People have reported the exact same thing with them. That's a far cry from Insta, where, in truth, I would have just treated like a photo album I get bored of.

Back