Ebay suspension no reason given

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, last year I bought some essential oils off of eBay. I won’t talk about the vendor, but I’ll say that it was not a great experience - the shipment was delayed for some time, and I ended up returning some of them because the quality was dubious. Shortly after this purchase I received an email from ebay saying my account was suspended. I thought it was a spoof and sent it to the eBay security team. Recently, I went to buy a vacuum cleaner part and discovered my account has been permanently suspended. I have had a few online chats and they won’t tell me what happened, and they hang up on me. I have used eBay maybe five times in my life. I’m not a criminal, and I can certainly get along without eBay in my life, but I feel traumatized. The only thing I can think is that it had something to do with the essential oil purchase, but they gave me a five star review. In fact all my buyer reviews are five stars. (There are only five.) Has this happened to anyone else before?

It's entirely possible that someone spoofed your email to open a fraudulent account and caused all sorts of problems and because you rarely use eBay, it's just easier to shrug you off than deal with the headache.

It's entirely possible that someone spoofed your email to open a fraudulent account and caused all sorts of problems and because you rarely use eBay, it's just easier to shrug you off than deal with the headache.
I thought that too, but they told me it was not due to fraudulent activity.
My aunt had a account suspended years ago, it was due to a dispute with another seller.
She never did get it figured out and eventually just made another account with a different email
I think it must be because of the seller I was dealing with, but eBay says I am permanently blocked and can’t open another account. It has made me feel ridiculously upset- I’m a normal, rule following person - and I can’t get any answers. Oh well. First world problem I know. 🙄

I thought that too, but they told me it was not due to fraudulent activity.

I think it must be because of the seller I was dealing with, but eBay says I am permanently blocked and can’t open another account. It has made me feel ridiculously upset- I’m a normal, rule following person - and I can’t get any answers. Oh well. First world problem I know. 🙄
Ugh, that would be upsetting to me, as well. You have been slandered and convicted as guilty, with no opportunity to defend yourself - which really aggravates my already over-developed sense of justice.

Like Obsidian recommended, the next time you need or want something from EBay, I would try opening another account with a different email address. Also, use a slightly different version of your name, like Vic instead of Vicki, or add in/leave out a middle initial, etc. If you can use a different shipping address, that would be great, too, but probably isn't necessary.

Don't even bother doing any of this until you are ready to buy something from them. That way, there will be less time for them to analyze the new account and potentially link it to the old one.

That is so odd, as a seller (when I was getting rid of stuff around the house), I had a few people who bid and won auctions, and later asked me to cancel. I remember there was an option to block them from future bids, and I did that. But other than that, I don't remember there being an option to "report" a buyer besides the rating system. Here are some possible reasons for suspension. Was your account "verified"? that seems to be the main reason for suspension (lack of verification). I am sure there is a way around it like suggested above.

That is so odd, as a seller (when I was getting rid of stuff around the house), I had a few people who bid and won auctions, and later asked me to cancel. I remember there was an option to block them from future bids, and I did that. But other than that, I don't remember there being an option to "report" a buyer besides the rating system. Here are some possible reasons for suspension. Was your account "verified"? that seems to be the main reason for suspension (lack of verification). I am sure there is a way around it like suggested above.
I looked at that too - I have had an account for ages with no problems and I did have an old credit card linked, but wasn’t using it. I unlinked the card. The EO vendor wasn’t perfect, but they did give me a five star rating. The whole thing is so unsettling.
Ugh, that would be upsetting to me, as well. You have been slandered and convicted as guilty, with no opportunity to defend yourself - which really aggravates my already over-developed sense of justice.

Like Obsidian recommended, the next time you need or want something from EBay, I would try opening another account with a different email address. Also, use a slightly different version of your name, like Vic instead of Vicki, or add in/leave out a middle initial, etc. If you can use a different shipping address, that would be great, too, but probably isn't necessary.

Don't even bother doing any of this until you are ready to buy something from them. That way, there will be less time for them to analyze the new account and potentially link it to the old one.
That’s good advice - but I feel like it would just open the wound again if they realize it’s me and banish me from the site again. I can live without them. Mostly I wanted all my soap pals to be indignant on my behalf. 😊
I was so agitated and upset this morning. Many people would laugh it off I’m sure but it’s really bugging me.

Last edited:
I would be bothered too. You were banned with no explination.
Have you asked to dispute the ban?
They tell me the decision is final. They say that they can’t tell me what I did because I might use the information to circumvent the suspension. It’s impossible to talk to anyone there. This is all by online chat. Very draconian. 😕

The big companies might win if they want but I have got ignorant on things that if it were thought about it would not be worth it but that made me mad about the lack of respect towards me.

One time on directv I cancelled my plan and I contacted the bbb and the state attorney general and every one else I could think of cause I thought they were using an extortion business practice.

In the end, one of the many VPs of the company called me and gave me what I wanted and I still have directv for now though I still feel bad cause I know they are doing the same thing to many others. Your situation is the kind that would probably set me off where I may take the chance of cutting off my nose to spite my face just to try and prove a point.

I have lost bigger money due to my own mistakes but have fought over very small amounts based on principle.

I could be the kind that might find some way to fix it though hook or crook and then only use them as a last resort due to having to go though it.

I think the people are right that they are big enough that they can write someone off with out care but also figure that same bigness has them get rid of problem in an inefficient way also if you get the right person. They don't get too hurt either way it goes. I may never shop there again but would want to fix it if I was innocent. Even if it gained me little.
Cheers
gww

I am very indignant on your behalf @Vicki C !
What I find most surprising is that most articles I have found about it, state that it happens mostly to Ebay sellers, not so many to buyers. And that ebay usually emails you to notify you in advance, or warn you. The fact that this took you by surprise tells me they didn't email you, so I suspect something really weird has happened.

I am very indignant on your behalf @Vicki C !
What I find most surprising is that most articles I have found about it, state that it happens mostly to Ebay sellers, not so many to buyers. And that ebay usually emails you to notify you in advance, or warn you. The fact that this took you by surprise tells me they didn't email you, so I suspect something really weird has happened.

She mentions that she they did, but she thought it was a scam.

She mentions that she they did, but she thought it was a scam.
They did send an email but it had “scammer grammar” - I didn’t think it was from them. Then I did see that there was a message on the eBay website but there was no further info or specifics or means to resolve anything. This was several months ago and I just sort of forgot about it, since there was nothing I could do. Since then my status went from suspended to banned for life.
I just read a book, “The Feather Thief” in which people commit actual crimes using eBay. They must have some crazy algorithms if I am the one getting culled out.

I may never shop there again but would want to fix it if I was innocent. Even if it gained me little.
Cheers
gww
That’s just how I feel but having spent two mornings trying to do so I’ve been left so frustrated and upset I felt like I was going to give myself a heart attack. Yesterday I had to go chainsaw some firewood to calm down. So at least I have some firewood.

Firewood is good

Just 🥰

Sorry you had to experience the new algorithms.

Mine was a loss of account for not providing the appopriate gopher facial (drivers licence, address, etc. ..) Some folk are ok with that level of detail. If you ignore that request (for extreme identification), you get a permanent ban.

If/when you create a new account they will know it's you - and it's often ok. Try it when you need to.

They must have some crazy algorithms if I am the one getting culled out.

Those so-called 'algorithms' are the reason I don't post much on FB. I have two warnings for supposedly "violating community standards". If anyone had actually read the posts, they would have seen that I didn't, and while I can understand that there are probably millions of posts that get flagged and it's easier to write a script that handles the issue, if someone takes the time to contact you, then you should get off your lazy butt and do something about it. But then again, FB isn't making any money off of me so what do they care.

Back