Ebay suspension no reason given

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

TheGecko

Reaction score
They must have some crazy algorithms if I am the one getting culled out.
Those so-called 'algorithms' are the reason I don't post much on FB. I have two warnings for supposedly "violating community standards". If anyone had actually read the posts, they would have seen that I didn't, and while I can understand that there are probably millions of posts that get flagged and it's easier to write a script that handles the issue, if someone takes the time to contact you, then you should get off your lazy butt and do something about it. But then again, FB isn't making any money off of me so what do they care.

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Those so-called 'algorithms' are the reason I don't post much on FB. I have two warnings for supposedly "violating community standards". If anyone had actually read the posts, they would have seen that I didn't, and while I can understand that there are probably millions of posts that get flagged and it's easier to write a script that handles the issue, if someone takes the time to contact you, then you should get off your lazy butt and do something about it. But then again, FB isn't making any money off of me so what do they care.
I got a warning for posting a link to a lye company on a soap group on fb. No idea why, I remember when lye was hard to get because people were using it to make meth, maybe that’s why?
Another person got flagged for bullying for responding to a question someone asked about what lard was, and he just wrote “pig fat.” That one is at least understandable!

TheGecko

Reaction score
I got a warning for posting a link to a lye company on a soap group on fb. No idea why, I remember when lye was hard to get because people were using it to make meth, maybe that’s why?
Speaking of making meth...there was a story on the news last night that because of the rash of 'homemade bombs'...we can expect those who purchase their Sodium Hydroxide (aka 'drain cleaner' from hardware stores to start getting scrutinized by the FBI and Homeland Security. We can expect that it is going to be locked up behind the counter or a cage before too long and you'll be required to show ID.

And I have no doubt that this scrutiny will expand to those who purchase Essential Depot Sodium Hydroxide or other brands from Amazon and then on to regular soap suppliers. I usually buy 8lb containers of Lye, but just checked in purchasing 50lbs bags once I figure out how to proper storage solutions. That may seem over-reactive, but being proactive has served me well over the years. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. And knowing the government, it would not be unreasonable to assume that as scrutiny increases, so will the cost.

CreativeWeirdo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of making meth...there was a story on the news last night that because of the rash of 'homemade bombs'...we can expect those who purchase their Sodium Hydroxide (aka 'drain cleaner' from hardware stores to start getting scrutinized by the FBI and Homeland Security. We can expect that it is going to be locked up behind the counter or a cage before too long and you'll be required to show ID.

And I have no doubt that this scrutiny will expand to those who purchase Essential Depot Sodium Hydroxide or other brands from Amazon and then on to regular soap suppliers. I usually buy 8lb containers of Lye, but just checked in purchasing 50lbs bags once I figure out how to proper storage solutions. That may seem over-reactive, but being proactive has served me well over the years. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. And knowing the government, it would not be unreasonable to assume that as scrutiny increases, so will the cost.

Is there anything about "the right to bear lye" in your constitution. 🤣 So Sorry, the snarkyness just came out there.

Professor Bernardo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are very difficult to talk to. I found a number online and basically had to lie my way through the automated answers to get to talk to some one who was very nice but couldn’t give me any more information.
I have had to deal with issues on Ebay in the past and usually had not too difficult of a time. Biggest problem is the language gap as most of their phone people are based in the Phillipines. At least for me that is.

1. Due to the language problems, if there is a misunderstanding then ask to speak to a supervisor. DON'T let the person you're talking to try to say otherwise. Be firm but polite and keep requesting a supervisor. Ebay's "Online Chat" is absolutely horrible... never use that venue to deal with issues.

2. Escalate the issue further up the chain, if possible. Something happened somewhere that's for sure.
3. How many transactions had you done on Ebay? To be honest, the higher the transaction count (whether buyer or seller) the easier it is to get issues resolved.
4. Some sellers, very few in fact, are complete tools and will do anything to ruin a buyer's standing or reputation, all because of an issue that occurred.
5. Persistence is the key. Myself, being a former purchasing agent, would put that "hat" on when dealing with issues whether it's Ebay, PayPal, Amazon, etc.

Here is the number I use to contact Ebay Customer Service: 866-540-3229

DON'T GIVE UP! There are layers of the proverbial onion one must peel away in order to the answer.

What I find most surprising is that most articles I have found about it, state that it happens mostly to Ebay sellers, not so many to buyers. And that ebay usually emails you to notify you in advance, or warn you. The fact that this took you by surprise tells me they didn't email you, so I suspect something really weird has happened.
She is absolutely correct!
There is something hinky going on here and it needs to be resolved.

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have had to deal with issues on Ebay in the past and usually had not too difficult of a time. Biggest problem is the language gap as most of their phone people are based in the Phillipines. At least for me that is.

1. Due to the language problems, if there is a misunderstanding then ask to speak to a supervisor. DON'T let the person you're talking to try to say otherwise. Be firm but polite and keep requesting a supervisor. Ebay's "Online Chat" is absolutely horrible... never use that venue to deal with issues.

2. Escalate the issue further up the chain, if possible. Something happened somewhere that's for sure.
3. How many transactions had you done on Ebay? To be honest, the higher the transaction count (whether buyer or seller) the easier it is to get issues resolved.
4. Some sellers, very few in fact, are complete tools and will do anything to ruin a buyer's standing or reputation, all because of an issue that occurred.
5. Persistence is the key. Myself, being a former purchasing agent, would put that "hat" on when dealing with issues whether it's Ebay, PayPal, Amazon, etc.

Here is the number I use to contact Ebay Customer Service: 866-540-3229

DON'T GIVE UP! There are layers of the proverbial onion one must peel away in order to the answer.

She is absolutely correct!
There is something hinky going on here and it needs to be resolved.
Thank you! This all SO helpful. The online chat people have all hung up on me. I swear I was being courteous.
How do you get through to a human using that number? I had to lie which made me feel like I would be even more in the doghouse with them. I think this vendor must have dragged me down which is unfortunate.

Professor Bernardo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you get through to a human using that number?
Keep repeating endlessly.... until you get connected to a true flesh & blood bipedal mammalian homo sapien... CUSTOMER SERVICE, long pause CUSTOMER SERVICE, CUSTOMER SERVICE. That's after each "automated response" from those cotton pickin' automated phone systems things. (Kind of like the HAL9000 computer in 2001 - A SPACE ODYSSEY.)

It takes patience, resolve, a firm steady voice and perhaps a nice dollop of Bailey's Irish Cream in your coffee whilst doing this!

I am curious? You had to lie... as in what way? You shouldn't have to do that. Of course, a little lie now and then never hurts.

TheGecko

Reaction score
I had to lie which made me feel like I would be even more in the doghouse with them.
What's the worst they can do to you...suspended your account? Oh, they already did. :)

FYI - If it makes you feel better about lying in order to talk to someone who can actually help you, PayPal...which is owned by eBay, is looking at a class-action lawsuit for unlawful business practices.

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Keep repeating endlessly.... until you get connected to a true flesh & blood bipedal mammalian homo sapien... CUSTOMER SERVICE, long pause CUSTOMER SERVICE, CUSTOMER SERVICE. That's after each "automated response" from those cotton pickin' automated phone systems things. (Kind of like the HAL9000 computer in 2001 - A SPACE ODYSSEY.)

It takes patience, resolve, a firm steady voice and perhaps a nice dollop of Bailey's Irish Cream in your coffee whilst doing this!

I am curious? You had to lie... as in what way? You shouldn't have to do that. Of course, a little lie now and then never hurts.
i think you have to say you are calling about fraud in order to even be making the call, I had looked at this along with other sites eBay Customer Service Phone Number (866) 961-9253, Email, Address
While you are waiting the recording says repeatedly if you’re calling about something else go to their online chat.
I have had three online chats and one phone call. The phone call was on a weekend - I did ask if I could speak to a supervisor, but the person on the line said no, but I don’t think anyone in management works on weekends. He was a little bit hard for me to understand.
The online chats get me nowhere. They start out by saying oh how terrible, then there is a long pause, then they come back and say I pose too big of a risk, they can’t tell me what I did, they are sure I am disappointed but the decision is final, blah blah blah, then they hang up. 😞

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was purchasing 50 lb bags of lye from a local chemical company I had to have my resale license on file and show my driver's license. They also logged my car license plate and I had to transport it in an enclosed trunk. So I would not even be able to purchase from them now that I sold that particular car and only have Kia Soul's.

Latest posts