Eating my mistake.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lion Of Judah

Reaction score
I bought a gallon of what i thought to be pomace EVOO this past Sunday which turned out to be 95% Soybean Oil or Canola oil / 5% EVOO . i tried return it but due to the fact that i opened it already it can not be returned. so safe to say it's mine now . Those two oils i have long refuse to use for soap making , due largely in part for them being GMO's . I dislike waste and there is no one that i know that uses those oils so i'm thinking on trying [my heart is heavy just thinking about it ] to make some soap just to get back my money .
so the question then becomes how would i plug it into the soapcalc seeing that i'm not sure which oil it is (soy or canola ) and how do i figure the percentage seeing that a little olive oil is in there as well ..... do i plug that in the calc as well ?
My mind is thinking on adding some avocado oil , castor, palm kernel oil , shea butter and a touch of kokum butter as well. so would i say using 4lb slab mold , 50% of the soybean oil that 5% is really EVOO so i would plug in 45 soy and 5 olive oil ? Or what is the better math to find this out?
thank you for all replys , i'm still so sad about this mistake .

I'd recommend using the lowest lye amount of the three oils. For example if soybean needs 1 oz, canola 1.2 and olive 1.3, go with the soy amount. That way you know it won't be too much lye. If using a 5% sf, you can lower it to 4% to offset the uncertainty and ensure it isn't over supeffatted from the discrepancy.

Sorry...maybe you can sell it as destash here??

I would also use the lowest amount, and keeping that oil amount to only 10% of your recipe will reduce the chances of DOS. You will have the oil around longer, but I think your soap will be less prone to DOS.

I have done what you mentioned and plugged in the percentage for the lowest. Does it give any indication of the percentages of the soy and canola. If not I would take the saps for both and average them, and superfat at 5% or so. Even with me being a much lower superfatter under such circumstances I would superfat at 5%. If you have any EDTA I would add in it so it can help deter spotting. Nope I would not waste it either, and over the years have learned not to be so paranoid over the saps

I have done what you mentioned and plugged in the percentage for the lowest. Does it give any indication of the percentages of the soy and canola. If not I would take the saps for both and average them, and superfat at 5% or so. Even with me being a much lower superfatter under such circumstances I would superfat at 5%. If you have any EDTA I would add in it so it can help deter spotting. Nope I would not waste it either, and over the years have learned not to be so paranoid over the saps

i read the can again and it states that it is either soybean oil "or" canola oil , so it's safe to say it's open to my opinion as to what it is, but the 5% is surely EVOO. i haven't gotten any EDTA as yet so i will try a little Vitamin E for the spotting.

That sucks, Lion, I am sorry. It sounds as if you really hate the idea of using this b/c of the GMO aspect, but IMO, wasting it would be worse ...

yeah the idea of wasting it is beating out the GMO aspect by a sliver :)
i will post picks once i get it done.

i read the can again and it states that it is either soybean oil "or" canola oil , so it's safe to say it's open to my opinion as to what it is, but the 5% is surely EVOO. i haven't gotten any EDTA as yet so i will try a little Vitamin E for the spotting.
Don't you just love the vagueness. You could add 2.5-3% citric acid with the extra lye for chelating. I do not know if it works as well but that is what I use

Soy's SAP value is 0.136. Canola's is 0.133. That 5% EVOO is 0.135, so they're all really close--that's a 2.2% error, so the standard 5% superfat would more than compensate.

To be safe, use canola's 0.133 at a weight of 0.95 and EVOO at 0.135 and a weight of 0.05.

Working the math:

(0.133 * 0.95 + 0.135 * 0.05) = 0.1331, or 0.133.

So just use the SAP value for canola and you're more than close enough. Worst case, you end up with a slightly over 7% superfat when you entered 5 into the calculator.

Ive used soybean oil up to 50% and never have a case of DOS, but that could be variables on my end...and lots of luck :lol:

Soy's SAP value is 0.136. Canola's is 0.133. That 5% EVOO is 0.135, so they're all really close--that's a 2.2% error, so the standard 5% superfat would more than compensate.

To be safe, use canola's 0.133 at a weight of 0.95 and EVOO at 0.135 and a weight of 0.05.

Working the math:

(0.133 * 0.95 + 0.135 * 0.05) = 0.1331, or 0.133.

So just use the SAP value for canola and you're more than close enough. Worst case, you end up with a slightly over 7% superfat when you entered 5 into the calculator.

thanks Morpheus , that's roughly what i was looking at trying to figure which one i was going to go with. i figured that the EVOO is such a small per-centage in the overall composition that i will chose canola to plug in the calc. i included pic of the brand i got stuck with.
oliovilla-pomace-oil-1gal.jpg

Back