Easy recipe idea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmar22

Reaction score
Today, I am giving my first attempt at making soap. I would really like to use an easy recipe maybe 2 or 3 oils max just so I can get the hang of bringing everything to trace and see how it is all suppose to be done.

Last edited:
Today, I am giving my first attempt at making soap. I would really like to use an easy recipe maybe 2 or 3 oils max just so I can get the hang of bringing everything to trace and see how it is all suppose to be down.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm a bit confused as your first two posts stated you were putting your soap in your mothers store so I imagined you had already been making soap.

Please read the forum rules (will give you a lot of insight about the forum). Also, please go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

If you go back and read the last 10 pages or so of the beginners forum you will also find a lot of great information as well as recipes.

Make sure you run them through soap calculators and use the proper precautions.

Look foward to your soap adventures.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm a bit confused as your first two posts stated you were putting your soap in your mothers store so I imagined you had already been making soap.

Please read the forum rules (will give you a lot of insight about the forum). Also, please go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

If you go back and read the last 10 pages or so of the beginners forum you will also find a lot of great information as well as recipes.

Make sure you run them through soap calculators and use the proper precautions.

Look foward to your soap adventures.

I haven't ever done CP. I do MP soap normally. However, considering I was speaking trace I thought that would be obvious... thanks for you reply

I typically do MP; however, I thought it was obvious I was talking about CP in this post since I mention trace

What oils do you have?

Coconut, EVOO, and Cranola. I also have sea salt that I use as an additives for some of my other products.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't ever done CP. I do MP soap normally. However, considering I was speaking trace I thought that would be obvious... thanks for you reply

I knew exactly what you were asking and speaking. I never assumed it was otherwise as you never stated you were selling MP, you just stated soap so when you posted this I figured it was CP as well. Now that you've clarified things, it's much clearer on where you a going with this. Thank you!

EVOO is a little wasted in soap for it's price in my opinion but it still makes a nice soap. If you want a basic recipe for all three, try up tp 20% for coconut oil and canola each and make up the rest of the difference with the EVOO. It will make a basic bastile or bastilette depending on what you want.

My skin dictates this formula:
Olive - 75%
Canola - 10% - 15%
Coconut - 10% - 15%
Superfat between 3-5 depending on liquid.

I recommend 80% lard 15% coconut oil and %5 castor oil, myself. This should make a very nice bar, if you can get your hands on them. Otherwise try a 80% olive 20% coconut, it should be a very nice bastile. Lastly you can do a 100% coconut oil soap with 20% superfat, usually we use that for salt bars and add in 25%- 100% of the oil weight in fine salt

I recommend 80% lard 15% coconut oil and %5 castor oil, myself. This should make a very nice bar, if you can get your hands on them. Otherwise try a 80% olive 20% coconut, it should be a very nice bastile. Lastly you can do a 100% coconut oil soap with 20% superfat, usually we use that for salt bars and add in 25%- 100% of the oil weight in fine salt

I'm finding that pink himalayan sea salt is complete caca in a salt bar. Ugh, I thought it would be pretty and okay but I made super scratchy salt bars with peppermint EO to boot.

Moral of my mini-hijacking: use regular, non-iodized fine grained salt and buy a mica if you want a pretty color in a salt bar.

Anyone want a pedi - salt bar? j/k

Today, I am giving my first attempt at making soap. I would really like to use an easy recipe maybe 2 or 3 oils max just so I can get the hang of bringing everything to trace and see how it is all suppose to be done.

I am with the dragon girl. I would make it even simpler and do 80/20 lard and coconut oil. Makes very good soap. And I'm not sure a lot of artisanal soap rises to the level of very good, so it's a great answer to your request.

I would use the 80% lard, 15% CO, 5% Castor Oil recipe. Not that much more complicated, and my skin much prefers less CO. I am also a bubble-holic, so I like the longevity castor oil gives my lather.

I am with the dragon girl. I would make it even simpler and do 80/20 lard and coconut oil. Makes very good soap. And I'm not sure a lot of artisanal soap rises to the level of very good, so it's a great answer to your request.

Will give it a try! Thanks so much!

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to hear!

Here's how it turned out!

1466355607206.jpg

Nice. Simple . Soap.

And just wait til it's cured. I'll bet you get nice lather and not too much oil cleaned out of your skin.

Welcome to the lard side. We have cookies.:)

How thick does CP need to be cut? For longevity.

Nice looking soap. Congratulations. You can cut your soap any width. It's a personal preference. I've seen 3/4 do an inch to 1 1/2 inches. Mine are just under 1 1/4 inches. My family and customers seem to like that.

Nice looking soap. Congratulations. You can cut your soap any width. It's a personal preference. I've seen 3/4 do an inch to 1 1/2 inches. Mine are just under 1 1/4 inches. My family and customers seem to like that.

I'm in the process of building a wire soap cutter with a set length any link to a good tutorial for just that?

I think the "standard" is 1 to 1.25. Go the store and hold soaps of different sizes and shapes and see what you like. Some people like a more standard bar, some people like a big, thick chunk.

Back