Easter dinner

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missjulesdid

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm just wondering what everyone is doing for easter?

Our schedule is:

5 am Wake up and find candy

9 am church

2 pm all cousin easter egg hunt

4pm dinner

My brother in law got a big buck this winter so We're doing roast venison (yay!), Funeral potatoes, marshmallow and fruit salad, and basil and olive oil roasted asparagus

Sounds yummy!

What exactly ARE funeral potatoes?

My poor kids don't have any cousins for an all cousin egg hunt. My husband only has 1 sibling & she has 4 young adult children & I only have 1 sibling & he did not have children. We are cousin poor :cry: .

If the weather is nice we will got to the zoo w/ friends & their son, the monkeys there are the closest things to cousins the kids have got :shock: .

Tab,

Ever see my big fat greek wedding? well that's my family, only we're not greek and we fight a lot more.

In our family the generations are all messed up and I have 38 first cousins ranging in age from four to thirty-nine. (grandmother had nine kids!) The next genration of cousins ranges in age from 10 days old to 20. so many of generation II are older than generation I.

Ok about the funeral potatoes, These often called "Mormon funeral potatoes" though they are also served and enjoyed by many Lutherans and Baptists. They are called funeral potatoes because they are often served by the church ladies at a luncheon following a funeral. I have been to dozens of Mormon funeral luncheons and these potatoes were served at EVERY single one. They are also served at any special dinner where your meat does not make gravy that goes on mashed potatoes. (so you'd eat them at christmas if you have prime rib, but not if you have turkey)

These potatoes are so rich and fattening that they are typically NOT served at regular Sunday dinners!

Funeral potatoes:
Ingredients:

6 cups small diced or julienne potatoes

1 can (10 ¾ oz.) cond. cream chicken soup***

1/2 soup can milk

1 cup sour cream

1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated

3 finely chopped green onions

salt and pepper to taste

4 tablespoons butter, melted

1 cup corn flake crumbs (I use more because everyone likes the top the best)

to prepare:
Cook fresh potatoes or thaw frozen cube hashbrown style potatoes. Place potatoes in a 2-3 quart casserole dish or a 9x13 cake pan.

Combine soup, milk, sour cream, cheese, onion and salt and pepper to taste. If a saucier dish is desired, add 2-3 tablespoons additional milk. Mix well. Spread sauce over potatoes.

Melt butter and combine with corn flake crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over casserole. Bake uncovered at 350 F for 30-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly throughout.

***Use cream of chicken soup... your dish will NOT taste like chicken I promise.. IF you are vegetarian, you can substitute cream of celery... DO NOT USE CREAM OF MUSHROOM in this recipe.. it is disgusting.

WOW! that sounds very good. I'll pass the recipt on to the good cook, thanks a bunch.

I am family poor. My parents, my sister and I moved to the US from England when my sister and I were little. The rest of our family stayed in England. My sister and I are both married, she has 2 little ones. My husband and I just recently got married so no kids for us yet.

My husband is an only child and his family is not close. We are going to his mom's house for dinner so who knows what we will have.....lasagna or steak (his mom doesn't cook a whole lot more than that).

All I know is that I have to be ready to leave at noon.

Joanne

ps...funeral potatoes sound YUMMY!

I am not a huge fan of potatoes in general, but any dish that has 4 different kinds of dairy products in it is right up my alley!!!!

I am making the sweet potatoes. that used to be great aunt ruth's job, but she passed away in august. she wrote the recipe down a few months before she died. i made them twice and they were terrible, but finally got the umph up to make them again and the third time's a charm. :)

I'm not mormon, but i do live in utah, so I've had more than my fair share of funeral potatoes. (that and green jello)

Oooh...SO full...Came back to NY for a few days to visit my mother, She made Braciole (yes. we are Italian :) ) , Saute'ed kale w/ garlic and oil, Pasta and homeade marinara (everyone makes fun of me for how i say this...Madanada), bread w/ EVOO to dip and herbs, and homeade casear salad.... dessert, chocolate obsession cake (cant touch it yet or i think ill explode) and fresh chocolate chip cookies........ I love holidays :) especially when i can be close to my family and eat my mothers cooking, Ive learned to appreciate it so much since I moved down to FL for school and cook for myself all the time instead of someone cooking for me...I love it but theres nothing like a mom-home-cooked!!

Happy Holidays!!

IanT

WEll, we went to the zoo, took the kids on a tour of an OLD Catholic Church & then got veggie burgers at Burger King :lol: . We are not Catholic but the old wonderful church had it's doors wide open & we just couldn't resist. We toured it like it was a museum, history, art, archetecture & theology. It was cool!
See the silly racoon on the left a sleep all spread out? It was in a barn exhibit to simulate night time.
This funny meercat wanted it's belly rubbed...

Back