Earth's Raw Beauty

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://www.earthsrawbeauty.com/the-making-of-the-network/

A while ago in the photos of soaps, there was a cool soap that looked like snakeskin. No one could figure out how it was done. Perhaps something like this was done. I would never have the patience for it on a large scale (pardon the pun) like that soap was. This, however, I can definitely handle. This is beautiful soap. It's a simple technique that reveals an amazing result. Enjoy!

Neat tutorial, Teresa -- thanks for sharing. I'm really curious to see a cut photo of this soap -- do you know if there is one?

ETA -- Neverrr miiind. The first photo of the cut soap was a tiny little square when I first viewed the tutorial, but it popped up full size when I reloaded the tutorial.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. I doubt if I could make anything that beautiful, but it's definitely going on my to do list! This is the closest I've seen to working out the snakeskin soap :grin:

Wow, that looks absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. I doubt if I could make anything that beautiful, but it's definitely going on my to do list! This is the closest I've seen to working out the snakeskin soap :grin:

I know!! When I saw this soap, I remembered the mystery of that soap and totally freaked out when she said she was going to post a tutorial. I asked her if it was OK if I shared it with y'all and she said yes. I couldn't wait to post this and see what y'all thought. I'm definitely going to try this. Can't say I'm going to be good at it, but I'm definitely going to try it.

Whoever does make this, please make sure you post your "snakeskin soap" photos. This should be a Challenge some day!

Thanks for sharing! Looks awsome but I don't think I will be attempting.

I was contemplating having a go as I participated in discusion about that famous snakeskin soap photo. And I'm pretty sure my guess (and few others) was close to what this soaper is doing here.
But nah, life's too short. :lolno:
It's good to finally know it is really made this way.

KC, I thought you were the one that suggested it was a dip job? Oil paint on water in the design then submerged. There was a cool video posted of the process. If it was with the process shown in the tutorial, can you imagine how many dots/circles had to be poured to get that pattern? Yep. Photoshop or dip. :wink:

I think Drowning the Eyeballs is a much better technique name! That just cracks me up.

I stand with Khaystack on the fishnet/snakeskin soap not being made with this technique. He thinks photoshopped but I am going with dipped. Even with the most care, there is much more variation in the shapes of the bigger pours and there are more corners than there was in the fishnet soap. I think someone could get that pattern using oils/paints on water (thus my guess on the dipping) but gravity in a mold causes it to be a bit different. It's close though.

I tried a few times using this exact technique, maybe a year ago or so when we were talking about it in the browsing pics thread and got similar results but in hand, the soap is not like the fishnet soap. That one is too consistent throughout for me to believe it was poured.

This is a great technique, and she was very generous to share it. The shapes in the original fishnet were way too consistent, IMO. There was just something "fishy" about that soap, with the original poster taking the picture down soon after all the controversy started. Drowning Eyeballs looks doable as long as you can get and keep the consistency correct while pouring. That's the trickiest part, I would think. The results are gorgeous, if you can nail the consistency. That's always my downfall.

I've got a grass FO from crafter's choice. I'm going to try this technique and call it "snake in the grass." It's going to be interesting. Never did the technique or used the FO. I might end up with grass soap on a stick.

Agreed - she was generous to share this! I actually prefer hers over the first "fishnet". Too much perfection detracts from the art, whether it be soap, painting or other.

Latest posts

Back