Earth Day is Tomorrow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Are you doing anything special to promote or celebrate it?

I've dedicated all my Blog posts this week to Earth Day issues. I've planted 25 trees in the Atlantic Forest of Brazil http://www.plantabillion.org/ and we are planting a new tree in our backyard.

I am also going through closets and storage spaces and posting anything salvageable on FreeCycle. I hate to do it and Earth Day has inspired me to get it together.

That is an awesome video! Did you make it? What a lovely way to start out a Monday. Thanks for sharing. :)

I'm starting to ship all my TOG orders using popcorn instead of packing peanuts. When a customer gets their product, take it out of the bubble wrap that is surrounded by popcorn. Give the popcorn a toss on the ground for the birds to enjoy. :D

Paul :wink:

paul, that is awesome, i saw some other companies doing that and thougt it was a great idea!

also, i bet you could reuse the popcorn could be reused by your customers to ship their goods too at least a time or two before becoming birdfeed!

Soapmaker Man said:
I'm starting to ship all my TOG orders using popcorn instead of packing peanuts. When a customer gets their product, take it out of the bubble wrap that is surrounded by popcorn. Give the popcorn a toss on the ground for the birds to enjoy. :D

And if the UPS man gets hungry... :roll:

dragonfly princess said:
[quote="Soapmaker Man":3oldg5tm]I'm starting to ship all my TOG orders using popcorn instead of packing peanuts. When a customer gets their product, take it out of the bubble wrap that is surrounded by popcorn. Give the popcorn a toss on the ground for the birds to enjoy. :D

And if the UPS man gets hungry... :roll:[/quote:3oldg5tm]

I don't know about stale, unbuttered, unsalted popcorn..... :? Now if it were Fed-Ed, and a plane crashed like Tom Hanks, I think I would want all the TOG packages with popcorn filling I could find! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Paul

Cool Marr! I will donate trees too! Maybe 1 for every order I get this week this week!

Marr, that is awesome!!! My boys, are on the greenteam at school, so they are cleaning around town, the creeks, out in the parks and such!
Paul, love the idea of the popcorn. :) Our family, in general, do some pretty cool things to be green, but always trying to find new ways to be better. k

Cool Tab! It's a great cause and they are planting trees where we really need them to be planted for optimal CO2 absorption.

Paul - have you been reading my blog? I did a post on how Lush uses popcorn several weeks back. It's a great idea. Let us know how it works for you as I haven't tried it myself yet. I literally have a pile of recycling shreds that is about 4 feet wide and 3 feet high to use first.

gallerygirl - that is a wonderful thing for your boys to participate in. They will probably have a lot of fun doing all that work!

I didn't make it but I love it!

I think maybe I will take the boys to our local park tomorrow to clean up around the area. Let them get a life lesson sort of thing out of it. Should be interesting since it is going to be raining.. lol

Marr said:
Paul - have you been reading my blog? I did a post on how Lush uses popcorn several weeks back. It's a great idea. Let us know how it works for you as I haven't tried it myself yet.

Yes I did. My wife told me during the Korean war, her mom and family shipped things over to Korea to her brothers stationed there, packing in popcorn for safe transit. That idea has been around a while I guess. I bought 50 pounds of popcorn at Sams for $16.00. I have poped up a 48 gallon container full. Every few days, I pop up more in our hot air popper. This is better packing material, and the more stale, the better! :wink: A lot less than the styrofoam peanuts.

Paul

That makes total sense about the staleness of the popcorn. Fresh popcorn is more brittle and it breaks while stale popcorn is more soft and pliable.

Have you shipped anything with it yet? any reaction from customers?

Well we got half of the flower garden done before we disturbed a group of ants the size of NYC and got attacked, lol! I have bites everywhere. There were so many ants that from six feet away you could still see them and they were very unhappy with us. In my gloves, up my legs, feet, etc. So until tomorrow we are taking off.

How was everyone else's day?

I love the popcorn idea! Not only is it environmentally friendly, a BIG pet peeve of mine are styrofoam chips because they're so hard to clean up, what with all the static charge they having making them cling to everything.

With popcorn, my dogs would probably clean up anything that falls out of the boxes! win win !!

popcorn packaging - how cool. I will still use recycled materials from my suppliers, probably for the wholesale orders. But for retail orders it will be popcorn all the way. :D

Oh boy, now I have to go find a hot air popcorn popper. My daughters are avid e-bay shoppers, they can find one for me.

And my son is not working atm, so he can be the official popper...win-win situation. I shall pay him in popcorn :wink:

I am going to burn some organic hemp oil and shout at the moon. Just kidding.
I don't get too mixed up in this earth day thing. It's a lifestyle change and requires more than people jumping on the popular trend. I hope we soapmakers who seem to like the simple pleasures are leading the way by example. Walking to the stores, hanging out clothes, growing your own food, and recycling and let those around you know you do it. Things like this make the difference in My .02 as well as popcorn and great ideas as such.

Popcorn! What a super idea!

I went to AC Moore for yarn, my other obsession, and after I paid they gave me a little fir tree! How awesome is that! Yarn and a free tree!

seaysoap said:
I am going to burn some organic hemp oil and shout at the moon. Just kidding.
I don't get too mixed up in this earth day thing. It's a lifestyle change and requires more than people jumping on the popular trend.

You're absolutely right. Even just setting up a recycling system in your home can be difficult if you don't have curb side pickup or some place to store the recyclables until you can haul it to a center. I tried several methods before finding something that worked for us. Most of them pertained to making it as easy to throw a can into the recycle bin as it is to throw into the garbage. It's amazing how having to walk an extra 100 feet can stop that dead in it's tracks sometimes.

Events like Earth day are important however. Annual events keep issues in the forefront so they don't become a trend that dies out.

Latest posts

Back