Dyes in lotion? What do you think?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane

Reaction score
I carry two lines right now, one aimed towards all essential oils & dye free, and another aimed towards color and fun fragrances. I was going to split them up and have two shops, but my customers LIKE having a place to buy different items and types in one place...

Anywaaaay... I was thinking about making Lotion and soap "sets". I have inventory to clear out before I move and I was thinking about having a special (free bar of soap with a lotion purchase) I was going to make fun scented sets and color the lotions to match the soaps.

But then I got to thinking, would slightly dyed lotion be a turn off? I made a pastel red/orange Mango Papaya lotion and clear MP soap in the same color, Looks adorable, my lotion is in big 8 ounce clear bottles, so it looks really pretty. BUT I loose the label appeal of Dye free...

Anyway, any thoughts?
Edit to add: It is literally half a drop of dye per eight ounces of lotion...that's a verrrrry tiny bit of dye....doesn't stain or show on skin or anything like that.

Tabitha said:
I like colored lotions. I have always colored mine.

Me, too. Color to "match" the scent. Offer both, and add dye as ordered.

Digit

I never thought that coloring lotions would be appealing to some people. Me for example I like it but never colored my lotions before? I guess you could say that your lotions are colored but if you prefer to not have color than write a note in the comments section.

We colored our lotions once with a comment card for customer to fill out if they liked colored or not --and the' not ' won out 2 to 1. Most stated comment was it made the product look cheap. Go figure~!![/b]

I started researching "top brands" and it seems like everyone colors their lotions! wonder why I never have. :lol:

lollil said:
Most stated comment was it made the product look cheap. Go figure~!![/b]

How odd to me. I am thinking pastel or very light. Maybe neon colors would only appeal to younger folk. I never would have thought it made lotion cheap.

Digit

How odd to me. I am thinking pastel or very light. Maybe neon colors would only appeal to younger folk. I never would have thought it made lotion cheap.
You should see neon orange in a lotion-WOW! It pops & probably does look cheap, cheap but fun! I think it depends on the exact shade or color you are using. Sometimes in the spring/summer I use neons in lotion just for that extra POP. Pastels can have a more sophisticated or high end look, IMHO.

Thats what I was thinking pastel shades look more appealing and I've only seen neon type colored scrubs. Everything is 50/50 because one thing will appeal to one and not the other.

Back