Dutch style Beldi

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshower

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am a big fan of Beldi soap, you know, the middle eastern style soft olive soap.
I have been thinking of making a dutch style version of it with native oils that can be found in the netherlands. Mainly hemp, linseed and coleseed. There are two things I am still thinking about.

- Which of the oils has the nicest skin properties ( i am currently leaning toward hemp)
- What about rancidness. All oils have are high in oleic acid. But if I do not, does soap still go rancid? I couldn't find this in my research.

Any insights are very welcome.

Do you have a recipe?
You might want to read Auntie Clara's experience with making Beldi soap to understand the process:

https://auntieclaras.com/2014/09/beldi-soap-aka-moroccan-black-soap-aka-savon-noir-the-full-cross-cultural-experience/

I am not familiar with coleseed, but I've made liquid soap with flaxseed (linseed) and hemp. I like them both and they do feel nice on the skin. You can offset any rancidity by buying the freshest oils available and adding antioxidant ROE (Rosemary Oleoresin Extract) to the oil before or during the process. Why not try a small batch of each?

I assume you've made soap with KOH (Potassium Hydroxide)? If so, the lessons to learn from Auntie Clara's experience, if it were me, would be to use 0% superfat rather than 10% to saponify as much of the oil as possible and to expect a long cook to get to saponification, and a long cure for the soap to reach optimum cleansing. There is an advanced technique to shorten the cook and the cure but can't recommend that without knowing your level of experience.

The olive pulp is a prime ingredient in Beldi soap, so I have to ask what you plan to use for that portion?

This sounds like a challenge and I will be looking forward to reading all about it. :)

Do you have a recipe?
You might want to read Auntie Clara's experience with making Beldi soap to understand the process:

https://auntieclaras.com/2014/09/beldi-soap-aka-moroccan-black-soap-aka-savon-noir-the-full-cross-cultural-experience/

I am not familiar with coleseed, but I've made liquid soap with flaxseed (linseed) and hemp. I like them both and they do feel nice on the skin. You can offset any rancidity by buying the freshest oils available and adding antioxidant ROE (Rosemary Oleoresin Extract) to the oil before or during the process. Why not try a small batch of each?

I assume you've made soap with KOH (Potassium Hydroxide)? If so, the lessons to learn from Auntie Clara's experience, if it were me, would be to use 0% superfat rather than 10% to saponify as much of the oil as possible and to expect a long cook to get to saponification, and a long cure for the soap to reach optimum cleansing. There is an advanced technique to shorten the cook and the cure but can't recommend that without knowing your level of experience.

The olive pulp is a prime ingredient in Beldi soap, so I have to ask what you plan to use for that portion?

This sounds like a challenge and I will be looking forward to reading all about it. :)
Fantastic read on Beldi Soap. Thank you đź’«

Hi All,

I have indeed read Auntie Clara's article on beldi soap. I usually buy beldi soap without actual olivepaste from a local hammam here (yes we have hamams here in the netherlands as well since we have a lot of people here from morocan and turkish descent) so I think I will stick to a soap without olives for now.

I have mistranslated colseed it seems. it is rapeseed oil, which you are probably familiar with.

last wekeend I have already made a softsoap with of linseedoil using KOH, which turned out fine.
I also read the groene zeep thread on this forum with much interest. seems to me this would be a dutch style beldi, although it is originally used as a house cleaning soap :)

Do you have a recipe?

I do have some experience in soapmaking with NaOH, allbeit from a few years ago. but I've got the basic calculations down.
As I've said in the previous reply, the linseed KOH soap turned out fine.

But I have never paid to much attention to rancidness since I used different type of fats in the past. but with this oils I think I might need to pay attention to it. So hence me wondering if a 0% superfat soap would still be prone to turning rancid

Now that I think of it………I could use whole linseeds, or broken linseeds or hempseeds as an exfolient……..hmmmmmm, new ideas……
But then I am thinking I probably should add preservatives next to antirancids. Ugh, so many thoughts.

Latest posts

Back