Dust/pets, air purifier?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadarLuv

Reaction score
Hi. FIRST POST HERE!

I tried this on a less popular forum and no one has even looked at it, so I found y'all!

I haven't seen this topic as I glanced through some posts. I have one concern (as of now). The airborne dust from bomb/bubble bar making.

I am not so much worried about myself as I can wear a mask, as it does irritate my lungs. I am more worried about my pets. I have 2 sphynx cats, one has epilepsy for unknown reasons and takes meds 2x/day which completely controls his seizures. The fact that his epilepsy is unknown makes me an waaay overprotective mommy! Thus, I am concerned with airborne contaminates.

Of course I keep them in a separate room until I am finished with whatever project I am working on, and don't bring them out until I have cleaned my work area. Does anyone worry about settled dust and their pets? Anyone else with special needs 4 legged children?

I have been looking up smoke eaters or filters on Amazon. Has anyone else tried them?

Don't want curiosity to kill my cat ; )

IMG_0447.jpg

This got redirected, but I am not sure why as it is directly related to bath bomb making and the ingredients that they pertain.

Is general chat really the appropriate place, especially when most people may not have an interest in bombs and the dust they create, or how to deal with it?

Bit of a frustration.

I don't have any personal experience with this, but there are air filters that fit over ceiling fans. Just google "ceiling fan air filter". My dad had a bar and (before the smoking ban) had these on all of the ceiling fans and it worked great. Honestly, my concern with bath bombs would be the fragrances. Everything else is pretty natural and neutral. I'm sure it's possible for a person or animal to have a bad reaction to Epsom salts, baking soda, etc, but bad reactions to FOs and EOs are much more common. I would be concerned about getting any fragrance on my hands and then petting my cat. Do you have a basement area or a room you can dedicate to this and keep the cats out of it? If not, I'd install some kind of air filter, and I'd use disposable gloves while making bath bombs, then immediately dispose of the gloves, either outside or in a plastic grocery sack knotted closed. Then I'd wipe the area down with soapy water, then vinegar, and wipe my arms down as well.

I moved it because it doesn't relate to making the products at all. If I wanted to ask a question about the best type of screw for my new wooden soap mould, that is not a soap question. Your question is not about bath bombs, but rather how to mitigate air problems caused by making bath bombs. Subtle difference, but nonetheless a difference.

Dust and fumes from what we do spans all spectrums - cp/hp, m&p, b&b, candles and so on. So here would allow the most wide range of people to see it and answer. Someone who only makes candles or soaps would not check the b&b section and so any input they have would be missed.

All I know with any certainty is that cats should NOT be exposed to citrus essential oils - and that includes diffusing them. I don't know which component of the citrus eo's is the culprit - but I think there's a good chance that there are other eo's that also have some identical (if weaker percentages) components. Since I no longer have a kitty I doubt I saved that bit of research, but I know I had to give up using citrus eo's for a while for the safety of my aging cat.

Unfortunately there are still plenty of irresponsible websites that advocate their use for cats.

Btw, that's the most adorable ugly cat I've ever seen!!

Thanks LenaRenee, he is the sweetest thing in the world. People wanna sneek him home with them. Don't let his chilly appearance deceive you, he uses it to his advantage!

Are you only referring to EO and not citric acid? And when you say diffuse, do you mean spray, like an air freshener? I am not a fan of citrus scents, so I can most definitely forgo them. I mostly worry about dust particles in the air when I am even measuring the dry ingredients or mixing them up. While I cannot se them I can definitely feel it on the floor. I guess I should ask my vet what powder I should worry about.

Thank you!

All I know with any certainty is that cats should NOT be exposed to citrus essential oils - and that includes diffusing them. I don't know which component of the citrus eo's is the culprit - but I think there's a good chance that there are other eo's that also have some identical (if weaker percentages) components. Since I no longer have a kitty I doubt I saved that bit of research, but I know I had to give up using citrus eo's for a while for the safety of my aging cat.

Unfortunately there are still plenty of irresponsible websites that advocate their use for cats.

Btw, that's the most adorable ugly cat I've ever seen!!

I think diffusers are when you put some reeds in a glass bottle of scent. The scent wicks up the reed and disperses in the air. But citrusy sprays are probably a bad idea too!

What I meant by diffuse was to cause small particles to float through the air - like sprays, electric and reed (evaporative) diffusers so that the cat inhales it.

By all means check with your vet about citric acid; I've seen it as an ingredient in cat food however that means nothing about whether its safe or not. It's shocking the stuff put in pet food that shouldn't be there.

Sounds like you love your kitty -lucky guy/girl!

Back