Dupe Type Fragrances: Mention the "Compare to..." or No?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrubadubdub

Reaction score
So...I am ready to begin selling my soaps. One of my biggest challenges so far is what to name my soaps. I am a fan of "type" or "compare to" fragrances for my soaps. What I want to know is, how do most of you handle this? Do you put on your label "Compare to < fragrance> from <brand>" and name it something similar? Or do you steer clear from references to other popular brands? I've never sold my soaps and plan to sell mostly online and some local markets on occasion.

I'm not sure of the legalities so I play it safe and call it something else. Just don't want to go down that path personally ...

I'm not sure of the legalities so I play it safe and call it something else. Just don't want to go down that path personally ...
I hear you. O think it’s probably best to play it safe too. Do you find that people typically recognize the scents and if they do, do you say that it is similar?

I use similar names, Instead of Lushes Peace, I call it Serenity or a variation, Instead of Pink, I call mine P is for Pink etc..
Oh nice! I like those ideas. Do you also put the fragrance notes on the package to give people and idea of its scent?

I don't think saying a scent compares to ____ would be a issue. FO companies do it all the time. Just make sure to give your product its own unique name.

If buying online, the compares to could help people who are familiar with popular scents buy what they like.

At a market where people can smell your soap, I don't think it would be neccessary.

I don't think saying a scent compares to ____ would be a issue. FO companies do it all the time. Just make sure to give your product its own unique name.

If buying online, the compares to could help people who are familiar with popular scents buy what they like.

At a market where people can smell your soap, I don't think it would be neccessary.
Giving it a unique name and saying compare to sounds like a good way to help customers find what they like, like you said. I just wonder if it would cause any issues when selling online. I think that Amazon has rules against that.

I suppose I could try a few different ways to find out what works and what doesn’t work. Thanks for the replies!

Last edited by a moderator:
So...I am ready to begin selling my soaps. One of my biggest challenges so far is what to name my soaps. I am a fan of "type" or "compare to" fragrances for my soaps. What I want to know is, how do most of you handle this? Do you put on your label "Compare to < fragrance> from <brand>" and name it something similar? Or do you steer clear from references to other popular brands? I've never sold my soaps and plan to sell mostly online and some local markets on occasion.
We usually avoid it in the name of the soap but we’ll mention it in the description if it’s online or offer it up if it’s in person. People sometimes ask if they think they recognize the scent.

Back