Duh...read twice, pour once.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
K- So I misread my liquid amount and added too much liquid. What is the best way to neutralize the liquid lye and dispose of it??? A lot of straight vinegar and how much? We have a septic, so I don't want to send it down the drain. :oops:

actually, the best way is to add the EXACT amount of hydrochloric acid :D Sounds stupid right; but it's true...
This is how they peel those yummie canned mandarin parts; give them a lye bath so the skin dissolves and then neutralize with hydrochloric acid.
So if you use the exact amount, you could even drink it 8)

Wow,

This is how they peel those yummie canned mandarin parts; give them a lye bath so the skin dissolves and then neutralize with hydrochloric acid.
Where did you come across that little piece of trivia? It always amazes me at the odd little tid bits of info we gather & store away just incase we should need to recall it.

dagmar88 said:
actually, the best way is to add the EXACT amount of hydrochloric acid :D Sounds stupid right; but it's true...
So if you use the exact amount, you could even drink it 8)

Hmmm....interesting. My DH has all sorts of weird stuff in the garage, but I don't think he happens to stock hydrochloric acid !:lol: Does a bunch of vinegar do the same thing?

BTW-I think I will stick to my gin and tonics, rather than lye and hydrocholric acid :wink:

Yep - it's called Acid/Base Chemistry.

If you don't have any HCI (stong acid) hanging around you can use about 3 times the vinegar (weak acid) as your lye (strong base) mix.

What you are trying to do is bring it to neutral pH. HCI is 1, Vinegar is 3, and Lye is 14.

Cool thing about those oranges! I had no idea!

Hi Tabitha,
Sadly, my brain seems to store more bits of trivia than anything else :lol:
In my country there's this really great tv programme where they actually do some research how the food/products in our stores is made. And that can really surprise you sometimes! :?

Here is a question......if your trying to bring down the ph level, would adding lots of baking soda do the same thing? From what I understand baking soda reduces the ph level. I'm no chemest I'm just hoping someone else here may know....???

Baking soda is a base. To neutralize an base you need an acid.

Must you discard it/neutralize it? Could you add more lye to bring it up to the correct concentration, and then store it safely? (I'm assuming you have a weak lye water solution, but perhaps I misunderstood...)

It's not recommended to dump large volumes of heavily concentrated lye into your septic system because it can upset the acid balance that feeds the anaerobic bacteria down there. BUT when you consider adding an ounce or two of lye to a system with 1000 gallons or more of poo-water, it will make very little difference. Just dump it down the drain and run some water behind it to clear the trap just below the sink.

Well, I am terrified of screwing up my septic. So, I am sure I did a bad. :shock: I added A LOT of vinegar to try to neutralize it...and then I dumped it in the gravel parking area where we keep the horse trailer, followed by a water chaser. I always spray that area in the summer anyway with a sterilant to keep the weeds down . So yes, my bad, but at least with the tons-o-vinegar, it is not nearly as bad as dumping straight lye water.

Interesting conversation though. Love the chemistry aspects of all this! Don't hate me for polluting the earth. :cry: I am more conscientious than a lot...

In terms of totally radical, out-of-the-box thinking - I often "overthink".

Happyday is exactly right. Find a slow running drain and dump away!

You just saved $6.00 on Liquid Plumber. Treat yourself to a Triple White Mocha!

Deda said:
Happyday is exactly right. Find a slow running drain and dump away!

You just saved $6.00 on Liquid Plumber. Treat yourself to a Triple White Mocha!

Even with a septic? I am still up for the Triple White Mocha... :lol:

If the drain in your tub was clogged because, well let's say - DH washed the dog, using an $18.00 bottle of Bumble & Bumble, then your best towels to dry him, soaked the floor, the hall and COMPLETELY saturated an entire 12 roll package of TP.

Could/would you use Draino? Or Liquid Plumber? Rooto? Lye would be no different.

Our house is on the city sewer line so I don't have a septic, but the beach house does and we use Draino there.

How much lye are you talking about?

Deda said:
If the drain in your tub was clogged because, well let's say - DH washed the dog, using an $18.00 bottle of Bumble & Bumble, then your best towels to dry him, soaked the floor, the hall and COMPLETELY saturated an entire 12 roll package of TP.

:lol: You are good!

Deda said:
How much lye are you talking about?

Not much. I am just being totally paranoid cuz of horror stories about septics backing up into tub...that would after the dog bath, Bumble & Bumble, towels and most definitely the TP! :lol:

Anyway, now it is under the trailer...where the sun don't shine! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back