Duck Fat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helenz

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me what Duck Fat is like in soapmaking? I was in the supermarket and my hubby brought to my notice a packet of Duck fat. It is quite liquidy (packet can be squished) I dont know if this is how it is normally or if it hardens and goes solid if cold. Bearing in mind it is summer here in NZ. On soapcalc it shows as Duck fat, flesh & skin, this packet is just fat-no extras.

Has anyone used it to make soap? and if so, how was it? Which soap calculator do you recommend? cheers Helenz

I have used goose fat in the past. The soap was fine. I never tried duck fat but they can't be all that different.

I used it once. Rendered the fat from home grown ducks. The fat does not get hard, I wouldn't use a large amount.

The soap is nice, not too different from the soap I normally make. Used 12% duck, the bars are still hard and long lasting.

I would use it again if I could find it at the store and it wasn't too expensive.

Carolyn made a nice chicken fat soap that, to me, was similar to lard in feel. I just hate the thought of wasting the delicious duck fat on soap! I braised some cabbage in duck fat Saturday night and mmmmm.

Wow, Im having second thoughts about using this fat for soap -maybe I should cook with it instead. I have heard that roast potatoes are great in either goose or duck fat. Oh well.............. cheers Helenz

Latest posts

Back