Duck Fat Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been searching the forum and only finding brief mentions of duck fat use in soap. I may have access to some soon. Anyone used it in soap, or a blend? What’d you use? Did you like it?
Thank you!
Edit: Finally found some older threads once I went past a slew of 4 letter word association games that mentioned “duck”. Haha
I’m still open to suggestions, and experiences with duck fat. Other oils I have on hand are tallow, coconut, avocado, and rice bran.

Last edited:
Not quite what you're asking: I once used chicken tallow as sort of an emu oil replacement in a hand cream. It was a nice cream but the chicken tallow scent was undesirable so I added some EOs to it. Figured chickens and emus are both birds and might have similar properties.

I have used it a few times, it's lovely. Fairly similar to lard I found

We make a lot of bacon and we triple wet render the fat and make quite a bit of soap out of it. I’ve got some hunting friends who get a LOT of ducks! Tasty as it is, can only eat so much. So, I put the word out. Some of them have been sea duck hunting and wondering if that fat would work. The fat isn’t as tasty as regular ducks. I’m gonna try and soap it.

We make a lot of bacon as well, but never so much that we have extra bacon grease for making soap. :p

My husband is very patient with all my repurposing of tools, etc., but he'd probably draw the line there. ;)

We make a lot of bacon as well, but never so much that we have extra bacon grease for making soap. :p

My husband is very patient with all my repurposing of tools, etc., but he'd probably draw the line there. ;)
We bake ours in the oven on a wire cookie rack sitting on a cookie sheet. Best way imo! That may give off extra. But yeah, we eat some bacon!

We bake ours in the oven on a wire cookie rack sitting on a cookie sheet. Best way imo! That may give off extra. But yeah, we eat some bacon!
We have done the same for years, and I will never go back to cooking bacon on a stovetop! Although I do have to clean my oven a LOT. 😂 It’s how I found out about the oven liner sheets, that I now also use as custom soap mold liners. 😉

ETA: due to my husband's health issues, he eats a fairly high-fat, lower carb diet. Everything I make for him has added fats, or is sauteed in fat. We not only bake 3-4 packs of bacon a week, we also use bacon grease as our main cooking fat. The flavor goes with a wide variety of foods, whereas neither of us is super fond of coconut oil for cooking unless it is an Asian dish.

Last edited:
We have done the same for years, and I will never go back to cooking bacon on a stovetop! Although I do have to clean my oven a LOT. 😂 It’s how I found out about the oven liner sheets, that I now also use as custom soap mold liners. 😉

ETA: due to my husband's health issues, he eats a fairly high-fat, lower carb diet. Everything I make for him has added fats, or is sauteed in fat. We not only bake 3-4 packs of bacon a week, we also use bacon grease as our main cooking fat. The flavor goes with a wide variety of foods, whereas neither of us is super fond of coconut oil for cooking unless it is an Asian dish.
I’m low carb also. I do a lot of ghee, tallow, and bacon fat. But, I’m only moderate fat, so we’ve got the extra. I’m really hoping some of my hunting buddies will take me up on making some soap for them!

Back