Dual Lye Shaving Soap - Modified Hot Process Method w/ Kaolin - 3"x8" Cylinder Mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nibiru2020

Reaction score
This is from my first test batch of this soap. The dual lye was: 40% NaOH & 60% KOH. This recipe halved made 4 - 1" x 3" shaving pucks.
Oils were: Stearic Acid 60%, Shea Butter 15%, Coconut Oil 15% & Castor Oil 5%. 10% Glycerin by total oil weight was added after trace and saponification.

Dual Lye Shave Soap.png

The attached PDF is my modified version which I will be trying out in the next few weeks.
Attached graph is showing the new characteristics of the modded version. In addition, the NaOH and KOH are both at 50% now to make a slightly firmer soap, or at least that's the idea.

Dual Lye Modded Soap.png

I actually got this recipe from a YouTube Video entitled: Making Dual Lye Shaving Soap | Modified Cold Process Method
(Although I believe it's more of a modified hot process method... 6 of one, half a dozen of the other... 👽 )
The channel is: Holly's Soapmaking - Kapia Mera

The original recipe makes a semi-soft soap, even after setting up in the mold and then removed 24 hours later and sitting for several day before cutting. The photos show little dents and indentations from my fingers denting the soap during the cutting process plus the mold liner was a little askew inside the mold. The attached recipe I upped the coconut oil by 5% and decreased the stearic acid by 5% hoping to improve the bubbliness of it. Although it's the stearic acid and the butters which impart the creaminess to it, which is important in a men's shaving soap, and yes...
ladies can use this also. ;)

Here is a couple of photos from that first batch.
IMG_20210228_070251.jpg

IMG_20210228_070304.jpg

Attachments

• Dual Lye Shaving Soap - Modified Hot Process Method with Kaolin - 3inx8in Cylinder Mold.pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Ok... teaching/learning moment... I bought some stearic acid awhile back (why? I've forgotten) but it is a powdery/granular substance. In this recipe it's shown as an oil - is it the same thing?

Ok... teaching/learning moment... I bought some stearic acid awhile back (why? I've forgotten) but it is a powdery/granular substance. In this recipe it's shown as an oil - is it the same thing?
SPowers
Yes it is. It is considered a waxy solid. If you rub a few granules between your fingers it has a waxy feel to it. It is what gives the soap such a brilliant white color.

From Wikipedia:
Stearic acid is a saturated fatty acid. It is a waxy solid and its chemical formula is C₁₇H₃₅CO₂H. Its name comes from the Greek word στέαρ "stéar", which means tallow. The salts and esters of stearic acid are called stearates.

Yes, it's an oil when melted.

Latest posts

Back