Dual Lye Ingredients listing (Canada)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoaperDeb

Reaction score
Hello!
I have been following the Health Canada guidelines for listing out of pot ingredients (saponified ingredients) when using NaOH as normal.

However my shave soap is Dual Lye, so it also uses KOH, at a higher usage than NaOH.

When I list the saponified ingredients, for example olive oil, can I list as:

“potassium/sodium Olivate”

or do they have to be separated as:

“Potassium olivate, Sodium olivate” ?

Thank you for any input. I couldn’t find anything helpful online.

😊

Don't you have to list ingredients in descending order? So depending on the ratio of your two caustics you might have to jumble it up a bit
Yes definitely in descending order. So if I have Olive oil, Shea Butter and Cocoa Butter in descending order of amounts, and use K and NaOH for Lye (60:40) I’m wondering if I can save space by placing Potassium ahead of Sodium when referring to the saponified oils.
Ie Potassium/Sodium Olivate, Potassium/Sodium Shea Butterate, etc or do I need to separate as Potassium Olivate, Sodium Olivate, Potassium Shea Butterate, Sodium Shea Butterate etc.

It’s just a space saver if it’s possible to be done. I can’t seem to find examples or guidelines for dual lye. I’ve only ever done NaOH.

Thank you for your reply though. Much appreciated!! 😊

I don't like listing what comes out of the pot because I haven't had my soaps tested and so I can't be sure of what amounts are what. But I do know what is going IN the pot, so I use amounts and then the alphabet when it come to equal amounts.

Looking at two shaving soaps make in Canada...Canada Shave Soap and Henri et Victoria...one used what goes IN the pot and the other used what came out. If are using what goes IN, you could use a simple descending ingredients order. If you use what comes out, then you will have to list each fatty acid separately and make sure each fatty acid is listed correctly. As an example...say you use 10% Coconut Oil and 10% Olive Oil with a 60/40 Lye split. You would not list them as Potassium Coconate, Sodium Coconate, Potassium Olivate, Sodium Olivate...it would be Potassium Coconate, Potassium Olivate, Sodium Coconate, Sodium Olivate.

That’s a good point and you are right. My space for labels is small so I was looking to save space. I will find a way to get it all in there. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back