Dual lye - how to?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When you do a cold process dual lye recipe (in my case 95% sodium hydroxide and 5% potassium hydroxide), do you mix each separately with a ratio of the water or liquid?
Or can they be mixed in the same container?
If the latter, is it normal that the water turns to gel consistency?
Update: Thank you for the replies! I have reviewed all the containers I have with lye water (I did a multi batch). And it seems this happened only with those that have EDTA. The one that does not have EDTA has a lot of “lye lint” but it is still liquid. This was also my first time using the water from the dehumidifier.

Last edited:
I mix them in the same container but have never had the liquid turn to gel (yet!). I have read that this can happen if using oat milk as a water replacement, did you have anything else in your water before adding the lye?

Ditto what SeaSuds says, never had water turn to gel, I can't see how that could happen unless you have an additive in the water of some kind. I always mixx both lyes in the water together with no problems at all even with sugar and a chelator added.

I mix mine separately, but only because I masterbatch each. One for bars, one for liquid soap. It just works easier for me. I have never had mine turn to gel.

I also masterbatch my EDTA and sugar syrup together, but not in with the lyes.

I mix them in the same container but have never had the liquid turn to gel (yet!). I have read that this can happen if using oat milk as a water replacement, did you have anything else in your water before adding the lye?
I had EDTA, and I was wondering if that was the culprit, as I have not used it in a while. Good to know, thanks!

Ditto what SeaSuds says, never had water turn to gel, I can't see how that could happen unless you have an additive in the water of some kind. I always mixx both lyes in the water together with no problems at all even with sugar and a chelator added.
Interesting, what chelator do you use? I used EDTA and that was what he only additive in the water. Thanks!

I mix mine separately, but only because I masterbatch each. One for bars, one for liquid soap. It just works easier for me. I have never had mine turn to gel.

I also masterbatch my EDTA and sugar syrup together, but not in with the lyes.
Good to know! I used EDTA and I was wondering if that was the issue

Interesting, what chelator do you use? I used EDTA and that was what he only additive in the water. Thanks!

I use mostly Sodium Glutomate, sometimes Sodium Citrate and no reason to use one or the other only because I have them but Sodium Glutomate is really my go to chelator. I have never used EDTA its not easy to find here in the UK or not for the home crafters anyhow.

Back