Dual lye, citric acid and sugar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orla

Reaction score
Just before I do something mad, I think I should just check. I've searched and can't find this info. I have always used NaOH and I add sugar and citric (and make the relevant adjustments, or to be more truthful soapmakingfriend does them for me). I want to experiment with a dual lye (95% NaOH and 5% KOH). I masterbatch 50:50 my NaOH, so I think what I'll do is follow Deaanna's suggestion on Classicbells and just make up two solutions. One is already made up (my masterbatch). I'll reserve some of my remaining water for my KOH - I can afford to give it generous amount (a 2:1 water:KOH ratio), and I'll reserve the rest of my water for my citric and sugar. And the plan is just to add the three of those solutions into the oils. I'm thinking I'd prefer to avoid any mixing of that lot at least till they are in the oils. Would that be sensible? Thank you for any advice.

Alternatively, I could just add the KOH to the entire remaining water - I'm assuming it will heat up. But I'd rather not blow up the building or whatever... and I'm not 100% of the outcome...

I am going to answer my own question in case anyone does the same search:

"How should I add citric acid to my soap?
Dissolve citric acid powder in about 2 times its weight of water. Stick blend the citric acid mixture into the oils."
source: Citric acid, Citrus juice | Soapy Stuff

Hi! well, ahem. The KOH didn't reach a very high temperature (early 30s C) when I added it to the water. Perhaps I added the silk into the mix too soon. It (the KOH) melted very quickly but I despaired of it melting the silk so I added the KOH lye solution to the sugar solution hoping to bring the temps up. It brought the temperature up to the second half of the 30s, but silk still swimming around. I decided 'to hell with it' and added the NaOH solution to the oils and then the citric acid solution (hoping for some increase of temps there) and inched into the very early 40s and so added KOH/sugar solution. It reached trace quite quickly. I wish there were some videos on dual-lye soapmaking. Anyway, no disaster, nothing very dramatic. I'm wondering if dual-lye soap batter moves faster (thicker trace quicker)...

Half the sources say to add the citric acid to the lye water before the lye. The other half the sources say to mix the citric acid in water and add that solution to the oils. I would love to see the rationale for each.

"...I wish there were some videos on dual-lye soapmaking..."

I've been using mixed KOH-NaOH lye solutions for several years now and have had zero problems with issues like fast trace.

It's never occurred to me that someone would need a video about how to make soap with a mixed lye solution of KOH and NaOH. It has been such a straightforward and non-eventful thing to do ... at least for me. As always, YMMV.

If you're using solid NaOH and solid KOH, measure out the total amounts of each alkali. Measure out the total water for the batch. Add one of the alkalis to the water and stir to dissolve. Add the second alkali and stir to dissolve. Pour the mixed lye solution into your fats. Make soap.

Latest posts

Back